HR Drift Test

• Creator
    Topic
    Jane Mackay
    Keymaster

Coaches! Happy Monday!

I just did the HR drift test and if I’m interpreting it correctly, it seems like my AeT has risen quite a bit since the last time I did it on 19 April, when it was 139.

These are the results:
    Avg HR for the whole test = 141 (avg for first half of the test = 141; avg for second half = 142)
    Pw:hr (no longer Pa?) = 1.42

I’m not super keen on having to do the test again … could I estimate my AeT at 144? I’d rather shoot low than high, to keep myself in check.

On a related note, my running form and my leg and core strength have all significantly improved since I last did the test. How much of the increase can be attributed to increased aerobic capacity and how much to better form and greater strength?

Thanks!
    Jane

• Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #57922

CORRECTION. Pw:hr = 1.22

Inactive
    Anonymous on #57936

Hi Jane,
    Congratulations!
    The analysis should still show Pa:Hr, is one of your other settings changed in TP?
    And yes if that is the data then no you do not have to do the test again and estimating 144 as AeT is appropriate.

As for this question:
    On a related note, my running form and my leg and core strength have all significantly improved since I last did the test. How much of the increase can be attributed to increased aerobic capacity and how much to better form and greater strength?

That my dear is something I cannot calculate, however I can tell you they both contributed significantly, you have a more efficient engine aerobically and also mechanically so YAY, that’s why you’ve had a significant increase in your AeT.

Strong work on all fronts!

Keymaster
    Coach on #57942

So awesome to hear you have improved this much!! Nice job 🙂

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #57957

Thanks, Carolyn and Maya 🙂 I’m really pleased!

Regarding pw vs pa, I think the issue was that I only had HR showing and not M/KM. I just redid the analysis with both showing and now Pa:hr is 0.84.

I still think I’m going to go with 144 as my AeT, though, knowing that I have a little wiggle room, because I too easily get enthusiastic and exceed AeT, so confining myself to a slightly lower bound will probably work out just right overall.

Participant
    Catherine Fitzgerald on #57970

Is there a rough comparison for RPE and HR zones? For example, tomorrow is warm up 20 min @3-4 RPE and active for 30 min. @4-6 RPE etc. How might those fit into my HR zones? Thank you

Inactive
    Anonymous on #57973

Hi Catherine,
    Zone One would be 3-4, Zone two 4 – 6.
    Best,
    C

Participant
    Rachel Walker on #57980

Is the Pa/Hr, the statistic to focus on? Mine was 8.10, which seems high, but that includes that I included the first 15 min. warmup. I tried to drag across the screen from the time that the work out ended until the end for one hour, but I did not see the results.

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #58005

Rachel, if you’ve dragged the vertical line to highlight the 1 hr of the test, the results should show in the top r/h box of stats. It usually takes a while for it to populate.

Participant
    Jeanie Ringelberg on #58035

I have done the test twice now – my first time was running on trail and my pa:HR was >10 and the second time was >7 which was on flat dirt road with average pace 10-11 min/mile and HR in low 150s. I feel like my effort is minimal. Maybe I’m more out of shape than I thought and I need to walk to get my heart rate down and pa:hr down?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #58041

Hi Jeanie,
    Yes since we are testing for aerobic threshold, top of zone 2, we need you to slow down until that Pa:Hr is 5% or less. Many people train too hard most of the time and don’t really know what it feels like to be aerobic which is the level of output we really want to be working at when doing big events/long mtn days, so we need to condition your body to do just that. Hence the focus on the lower intensity work. It doesn’t mean you are out of shape but you may have a classic issue we often find with many athletes: Aerobic Deficiency Syndrome ADS which is what we really want to correct. Here’s a great podcast talking about just that!

Phil Maffetone on Health, Training, and Aerobic Deficiency

Inactive
    Anonymous on #58042

Hi Rachel,
    Yes for the AeT test we are looking at the Pa:Hr being 5% or lower to be able to set the top of your zone two. Don;t worry about that number for other workouts as it will vary significantly with terrain. However for this test yes. As Jane mentioned highlighting the WO portion should give you your accurate HR Drift. If it’s higher than 5% then your AeT is lower than the average HR for that effort.
    Here’s a copy of articles to look at as well ( :

How to Administer and Analyze a Heart Rate Drift Test

Indoor DIY Guide to Determining Your Aerobic Threshold: Treadmill Test

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.