Zone 2 – walking?

• Creator
    Topic
    timoteo1234
    Participant

Good morning,

I am new to this uphill athlete thing and have been beginning to get into splitboarding. I want to get in better shape for the next season which starts about 6 months from now. I had been running pretty regularly and was up to 7 mile runs but had to take a month off due to injury and crazy time at work. It was in that month that I read about the uphill training.

When I tried to go out for a zone 2 run last night I was dismayed to find out that is a brisk walk for me. Should I really staying at a walking pace? Or should I be mixing in running?

Also, I see a lot of focus on the HR training but not a lot on lifting. Do people run and lift on same days or alternate?

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #54912

Should I really staying at a walking pace?

Yes. The most important thing when you start proper endurance training is to improve your aerobic metabolism—i.e. build a base. For most, the initial pace will be very slow and not very stressful. That will change over time.

Or should I be mixing in running?

Only in two instances: if you can run under your aerobic (not anaerobic) threshold; or if you need a few weeks to sharpen for a race.

Also, I see a lot of focus on the HR training but not a lot on lifting. Do people run and lift on same days or alternate?

Search this site for strength training or check out one of our books. Lifting is an important part of any endurance program, so long as it’s done where it counts and without a focus on creating dead weight (i.e. mass.)

Participant
    timoteo1234 on #54956

Thanks Scott! Ill admit it is a little unmotivating to walk, but I will stay the course. I just picked up a copy of the Training for the Uphill Athlete, but havent had a chance to start to dig into it so some quick help on the forum is much appreciated.

I have read that 3-4 days a week in zone 2 is the preferred method, but with my current pace being so easy, is it good to do more frequently, maybe 5-6 days a week then drop to 3-4 when the effort becomes higher?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55003

There is no magic number or formula. (And anyone who says there is is selling something, clueless, or both.)

When you start structured training, zone 2 training will be very low stress, so you can do almost as much as you like. Fatigue will come from the general volume and will likely never be apparent in any one session. At the right pace, it will likely take several weeks before you notice general, persistent fatigue.

After several thousand hours (if they’re consistently applied) your speed will increase. Once your threshold speeds increase and converge, Zone 2 training will be very stressful. At that point, it’ll be time to switch to an interval format even though the metabolic cost will still be low.

Participant
    timoteo1234 on #55022

Thanks again Scott.

I am now about 100 pages into Training for the Uphill Athlete and everything in it is making a lot of sense. You mentioned several thousand hours at zone 2 I should begin to see my speed increase, is this similar to other aspects of training where the untrained will have initially quick gains and then it will begin to level off? Or have you seen that regardless of base training increasing speed at zone 2 takes several thousand hours?

Long story short, curious if I can expect to be at a jogging pace this year or not.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55026

You mentioned several thousand hours at zone 2 I should begin to see my speed increase …

It’s impossible to predict. (And I like to err on the high side to emphasize that it’s a very long process.) The most important thing is consistency. For example, 300 hours per year, year-in-year-out, will have a much more positive impact than a higher volume that is sporadic.

is this similar to other aspects of training where the untrained will have initially quick gains and then it will begin to level off?

Yes, exactly. In the beginning, it’s possible to see double-digit percentage gains in the first year. Professionals would be excited to gain 2-3%.

Long story short, curious if I can expect to be at a jogging pace this year or not.

Hard to say, but the key is to separate gratification from speed. Even if you do start jogging as base training, the vast majority of your training time will always be really easy. It’s best to enjoy it, think of it as meditation, use it for making to-do lists, etc.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.