Walking Desk and training volume.

• Creator
    Topic
    curriespencer
    Participant

I’m someone who has a lot of trouble sitting still to work. I’ve been diagnosed with ADD, but really hate the medicine so I don’t take it as much. One thing I’ve found that helps is moving while working. I have a treadmill desk and use it when working.

Usually I walk at a slight incline of about 5 degrees at about 1.4-1.8 mph. My HR sits at about 90-95 when I do this. I usually will do it for about 4 hours per day alternating to sitting if I need to do a lot of coding where I have to think a little harder.

How would I incorporate this best into my training. I do track the volume on this, but I haven’t been using it to figure out my total z1 and z2 training times. I keep those separated when calculating %of weekly volume in both zones.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #8686

I think your are smart to do this even if only for the health benefits. A high volume of low intensity aerobic work will contribute to basic aerobic capacity….up to a point. Because the stimulus is low with such a low HR it is not going to have nearly the same training effect as an hour of running at HR=130 say. It is actually going to act as a recovery workout and may speed recovery. As to how to count it: Id call it recovery and keep a tally of the volume of that intensity zone separate from Z1 and 2.

Scott J

Participant
    curriespencer on #10930

I’ve upgraded to using Training peaks and am using the 24 week mountaineering plan. It’s been great so far.

If I’m using training peaks premium and TSS what is the best way to log the walking. If I input my normal walking speed and hr I get a TSS score of about 40 per hour. In a given week I’m accumulating at least 400 TSS from just walking.

Will the affect my TSB in a negative way or will I have to adjust what is considered over-training with the TSB. In their description of TSB it seemed like a TSB under -30 was over-training and constituted rest. Do you use a similar metric or adjust it for you style of training. As of now my TSB is -65 with a rest day tomorrow and a recovery week starting next week.

My other question is right now I don’t have a goal or time period set for a big expedition. too poor and I lack the knowledge to do one. I figure I might as well train hard now so that once I can start affording the seminars to learn I can put the practices to good use without being gassed.

That being said, how long can I repeat weeks 12-16. Is it something that I can repeat indefinitely. I feel like it will most likely be a few years before I get the opportunity to do a big peak so I’m looking to get as strong as possible before that time comes.

Thanks again for all the hard work on this. always learning something new!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #11118

The TP metrics of CTL, ATL and TSB are only as accurate as the TSS input is. So you need to have well defined training zones, and especially the top of Z3 (your anaerobic threshold) since that is what the TP algorithm uses to calculate all the others. Also, keep in mind that the algorithm will not be even close to accurate until you have 6 weeks of carefully logged training. But in reality I think it needs closer to 6 months to learn you really well. The more data it collects the more accurate the model is.

But do not rely too much on TSB or any of these metrics without a lot of prior information. -30 may be crushing over training for one person and -50 can be just a bit of over reaching for another. These are valuable tools but like any tool you need to lear how to use them.

Scott

Participant
    Peter W on #11173

I walk about 1hr each day commuting while wearing a backpack with lunch and climbing gym stuff. I keep a separate “recovery” column in my training log; i also put yoga and light core work into this category. I give it all a TSS of 25/hr which seems to capture the right stress effect, i.e. 3.5-4 hrs of that seems to make me equivalently tired to an hour of running at HR=140. Over the course of a week it can contribute to CTL somewhat but each session on its own is mostly restorative.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.