Training rest periods

• Creator
    Topic
    lvkennedy
    Participant

Hi there – I’m stranded in Norway without my Training for the new Alpinism book and have started training from memory 🙂

I’m tracking training and remember roughly how much time I should spend on Z1, Z2 etc. as well as strength but wondering how long a cycle should last before taking a rest and how long rests should be?

I’ve done 8 weeks Transition I guess and about 65 hours in Z1 plus 15 hours strength. Not enough Z3 and a little climbing but not much as it’s obviously off the cards right now. I’ve been feeling really fatigued this week and don’t know if I am doing too much and should incorporate a full rest week.

I’m in a sparsely populated place so I am lucky to train locally here without fear of bumping into anyone.

Hoping to complete a 7 peak mountain challenge in a single push in June and also a few long rock climbs at a moderate grade for me but 14 pitches or so. I’d just like to be as fit as possible for those, in world where we’re Corona free and they can actually happen of course.

Any advice appreciated – thanks!

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #40414

I’m tracking training and remember roughly how much time I should spend on Z1, Z2 etc. as well as strength but wondering how long a cycle should last before taking a rest and how long rests should be?

It depends. It varies per person. There are no hard and fast rules. In general, most people do two or three build weeks followed by one easier recovery week.

I’ve been feeling really fatigued this week and don’t know if I am doing too much and should incorporate a full rest week.

It sounds like you need a break. A good rule of thumb is to “do as much as necessary, not as much as possible”.

Overtraining is much harder to recover from than undertraining is to compensate for, so always air on the conservative side.

Participant
    lvkennedy on #40422

Thanks so much! That makes sense and I believe in my body’s wisdom. As you say, much easier to do more than recuperate from an injury after over training. Appreciate that 🙂

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.