Runner ME Workout

• Creator
    Topic
    ryanpaul
    Participant

I did the Runner ME progression from the Mike Foote Big Vert training plan yesterday. The workout called for 2 circuits at 6 x 10. I did with 8lbs and only 1 circuit. My legs are destroyed today. Should I drop the weight next week and still only do 1 circuit or drop the sets (from 6 to 4) the weight and the circuit? The good news is I found a weakness to work on!

Thanks

Ryan

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #30682

Ryan:

You’re not alone with the trashed leg syndrome. Just wait till tomorrow 🙂

Use only body weight for the next few of these and reduce the depth of the split jump squats and hight of the box.

You definitely found some low hanging fruit. But each person has to find the right loading that is appropriate for them. If you are getting worked with BW then just use BW. You’ll still see huge gains and will not be so destroyed.

Scott

Participant
    ryanpaul on #30737

Thanks Scott. This has been a rough week for my legs. Just starting to feel better today…so I ran for 2.5 hours 🙂

Participant
    nullkru on #30773

You’re not alone with the trashed leg syndrome. Just wait till tomorrow ?

I second that 😀 !!!

Each progression is a new joy.

Participant
    ryanpaul on #31689

Another question on this topic.

In the workout plan, it mentions that the BSU can be completed in 30 seconds….maybe I am using too high of a box(about knee height) or I am just slow but it takes me almost 60 seconds per 10 reps (per leg). Is it wrong in the plan, am I slow or is the bo to high?

Also, I have tried two different techniques 1) both legs on the box, both legs on the floor, repeat starting with the opposite leg and 2) always keeping one leg on the box, alternating legs. The second is a little quicker and feels like the same work.is there a preferred method?

For anyone reading this having the same issue with DOMS, I had after the first week. Today was my 4th workout and I used 17 lbs and did 2 x (8×10).

Participant
    ally_b_sbclp on #75640

@ryanpaul – I have the same issue with the BSU taking me nearly 60 seconds for 10 reps per leg. Were you ever able to find a method to complete the BSU in the prescribed 30 seconds?

Thanks so much!

Thomas Summer, MD on #75656

„Also, I have tried two different techniques 1) both legs on the box, both legs on the floor, repeat starting with the opposite leg and 2) always keeping one leg on the box, alternating legs. The second is a little quicker and feels like the same work.is there a preferred method?“
    I have no idea what that means?! But take a look at this video:

And of courses this instructions:

FREE At Home Muscular Endurance Workout with Progression

And use a box that’s not too high (the one in the video is higher than most athletes can handle for an ME workout)

Hope this helps!?

Participant
    ally_b_sbclp on #75673

Thank you! I will give this a go. I did the workout yesterday and was able to complete the BSU sets, 10 reps each leg, in about 35-40 seconds per set. Hopefully I’ll get faster as I continue forward in the plan.

Thomas Summer, MD on #75696

I’m still not sure if you are doing it correctly. So step by step:

Put your left leg on the box
    Right leg is on the ground
    Press up with your left leg until your left leg is straight
    Go down the same way you went up
    Left leg is on the box
    Right leg is on the ground.

This is one rep.

Repeat 10x
    This is one set for the left leg

Do the same with the right leg.
    This is one set for the right leg.

Sorry if you already did it like that and I sound like a teacher 😉

Participant
    ally_b_sbclp on #75727

Dear Thomas, Not at all!! All information is good information in my book. I really do appreciate it.

I did the first 10 weeks of this training plan last year, before I got derailed by COVID. I was constantly frustrated with the time requirement on this exercise. I’m a bit of a perfectionist, and not making that time requirement felt like a little failure every time. I built enough strength and coordination with the SJS to knock them out consistently under the time constraint. However, no matter how I tried with the BSU I’d always be off by 5-7 seconds with perfect execution, and closer to 10 seconds over if I stumbled or lost balance at all during the set(which happens later in the workout, especially when I’m hyper-focused on speed). It wasn’t a big deal when the recovery time was set to 60 seconds. I’d set an interval timer, and whatever time I went over in performing the exercise just ate into my recovery. It got pretty brutal when the recovery time went down to 30 seconds.

After experimenting with a few different methods of doing the workout, I concluded that the way you described doing it– one leg at a time, that active leg’s foot never leaving the box the entire set– was the quickest way to go about it.

I thought it was interesting that @ryanpaul had similar struggles, and wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something that might make me more efficient this time around.

Now I know that I am doing it in the most efficient way possible, and will continue forward with that method. Maybe this time through the plan, with no further experimentation on form happening along the way, I can get stronger and will be able to shave seconds off my time as I go.

Warmest regards,

Ally

Participant
    ryanpaul on #75743

I have never had a problem completing in the time specified; it’s been a DOMS issue for me. I started again recently and had to start at bodyweight with a low # of sets to avoid crippling DOMS the next several days.

I agree that keeping one leg on the box is faster, but you must be careful not to push off with the moving leg. I have also found that a broomstick for stabilization helps during the first few workouts.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.