Recommendation for a food tracking app

• Creator
    Topic
    Mariner_9
    Participant

I’m looking for a recommendation for a food tracking app, either on mobile (IOS) or PC. Though I’m confident I eat healthily and my weight is stable, I’d like more detail about what proportion of my calories come from fats vs. protein vs. carbs.

I have a Jawbone Up Band which I use for tracking resting HR and sleep (but not training). Though it allows you to track what you eat, it seems oriented toward processed rather than natural food which makes it all but useless. It’s easy enough to put in your homemade meal if it only has a few ingredients but not if it has many. Using store-bought items as proxies just doesn’t work – e.g. earlier in the week, I had a homemade soup which I knew had 0.9g of sodium but a proxy in the app said I had over 5g of sodium!

Posted In: Nutrition

• Participant
    Max McKee on #3345

I have used webmd in the past and it was decent. It has the stats on natural foods too.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #3346

Thanks, Max, I’ll give it a try.

Jason Antin on #3349

Hey Mariner_9,

I’ve been using My Fitness Pal to track calories. It also integrates directly with TrainingPeaks.

Jason

Participant
    pshyvers on #3395

MyFitnessPal is pretty good, it integrates with many other services (TrainingPeaks, Garmin Connect, etc) and has a large database of food. Most importantly for me, it also has a barcode scanner, which makes entering homemade food significantly easier & more accurate (when combined with a scale)

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #3402

Thanks guys.

I’m trying out both WebMD and MyFitnessPal at the moment. Seems like MyFitnessPal is going to win out because of the integration with TrainingPeaks. Now I need to ask Jawbone to integrate with TrainingPeaks so my sleep, food, hydration and exercise are all in one place! 🙂

Participant
    alexgauthier on #3438

Loseit! is pretty decent as well. Good web front end. Ability to create custom recipes with whatever dietary attributes you wish to enter. It doesn’t integrate with Training Peaks but does work with Apple Health Kit and some other APIs.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.