Power Zones and training

• Creator
    Topic
    Fab
    Participant

Hi uphill running athletes. Some of you are they using power for training ? If you do, do you use Stryd zones, Jim Vance zones, or others ? how to you make them match with AeT ?

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #37099

The problem I’ve seen with foot-worn power meters is accuracy. I used a Stryd a couple of years ago and it was horrible. Maybe it’s improved, but I’m skeptical because it’s an algorithm rather than a direct measurement of power.

But if we could get accurate measures of power for weight-bearing activities, I would switch to it immediately.

You would measure AeT the same way. Find a constant power output (ideally on a treadmill so that you know the output is constant) that creates a heart rate drift of less than 5% over the course of 60 minutes. Then when training, keep your AeC sessions below that power level (and ignore heart rate).

We would use power if we could, but from what I’ve seen so far, it’s grossly inaccurate. I would love to find a device that proves me wrong.

Participant
    Fab on #37100

Thanks for your answer, unfortunetly there is no magical récipe 🙂

Participant
    josswinn on #69604

I bought a Garmin FR255 recently and already having their Running Dynamics Pod, the combination of both devices provided me with a measure of ‘running power’ for the first time. The attached screenshots shows how my HR and Power align. One is a flat run (actually a 1hr AeT test), the other with short climbs.The AeT test was interesting. In one sense, it was not successful (Pa:HR 6.4%) because at 30 mins I turned to run back and had a head wind, so my pace dropped as I tried to keep my HR the same as the first half. However, my HR and Power remained pretty consistent (Pw:HR = -1.01%).

First 30 mins:

Pace 05:18min/km
    Gradient 0.0%
    Average Power 314 watts
    Average Heart Rate 154bpm
    Average Running Cadence 168spm
    Aerobic Decoupling 5.5%

Second 30 mins (17kph headwind):

Pace 05:40min/km
    Gradient 0.1%
    Average Power 318 watts
    Average Heart Rate 153bpm
    Average Running Cadence 164spm
    Aerobic Decoupling -0.3%

60 min summary:

Distance 10.963km
    Pace 05:28min/km
    Gradient 0.0%
    Average Power 316 watts
    Average Heart Rate 154bpm
    Average Running Cadence 166spm
    Aerobic Decoupling 6.4%

I’ve tried posting here about Power before, but the links I included caused the post to be held for moderation, so I’ve included them here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cqC5q3Po7kBREptcARJbTS_2TNY4fi8iQxHCbi1wHBE/edit?usp=sharing

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant
    josswinn on #69616

Here’s a screenshot of different run (29km/3.5hrs/flatish trail). You can see that after 2hrs, my HR starts to climb and my power drops – they decouple. My aerobic decoupling (Pa:Hr) was 11.2% and Pw:Hr was 17.5%). It was a very warm day and I was getting tired. I wasn’t running according to HR or Power, just feel. I think that the Critical Power concept is less useful the longer the run.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.