Playing tennis... | Uphill Athlete

Playing tennis…

• Creator
    Topic
    mzkarim
    Participant

Hi,

I’m in Week 8 of the 24-week Plan and starting to enjoy it as I understand it more and more (the first few days were very slow and easy, of course). 

I like tennis and used to play it at a recreational level until about 3 years ago. Would playing tennis every other week hinder my fitness for mountaineering? Is it too much of an anaerobic sport? Can it serve as cross training?

Thanks!

• Participant
    mzkarim on #44016

I would be playing doubles, not singles.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44042

Wear a heart rate monitor and find out. It is very stochastic, but maybe doubles is less so.

(If you do wear a heart rate monitor for a session, I’d be interested to hear the result. I played squash for years, so I’m curious.)

Participant
    Ben M on #57639

I’ve tried using a heart monitor during squash — I think Strava likely smooths out the peaks too aggressively since a long rally is often mostly beyond anaerobic, and my AeT is around ~140.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5766942678 (where the HR supposedly stays in z2 most of the time… that’s just not what happens on court lol)

My current thinking (starting week 1 of the freeride skier plan) is to play 45 mins of squash on the strength/mobility days, and checkin on other performance metrics to see if that ends up being overtraining.

For 9+ years pre-covid lockdown I would play squash for about an hour and then go do the basic compound lifts as supplemental. last 3 years I brought in clean+jerk for the weight eccentric explosiveness in the jerk lunge. This winter I’m seeing if the UA training is better, especially for uphill cardio.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.