Overlapping Phases

• Creator
    Topic
    planetmarshalluk
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m heading out to Nepal in mid November to climb Ama Dablam, and I am just entering the muscular endurance phase for this training.

When I come back, it will be early season for the Scottish Mixed and Ice climbing season, and I want to get the most out of my training preparation for that.

What I’d like to do, is that since I am not expecting Ama Dablam to be particularly technical ( at least compared to Scottish mixed climbing ), is to focus my ME training for the next 7 weeks on legs and continue my max strength phase on upper body work (pullups, max hangs etc).

Then when I come back I will focus on an ME stage for upper body work for mixed and ice climbing.

Does this sound like a sensible plan? Or is overlapping phases like this not likely to work?

Thanks,
    Andrew.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #13650

Yes, that can work out fine. Compared to Scottish mixed climbing AD will be a breeze. Depending on your level you might want to check out Steves 2 Ice and Mixed training plans They could be overlaid with what you are doing now with no interference since they are both strictly upper body and core strength/ME training and they save you trouble of designing your own plan.

Scott

Keymaster
    Steve House on #13709

@planetmarshaluk

Here are a couple good (and free) resources to consult for some ideas on simple workouts you could do while in Nepal:

Ice Climbing Training: Grip Strength

Training for Ice and Mixed Climbing

I would try to incorporate grip training and some upper-body maintenance work about every 7-10 days during the Ama trip so you haven’t lost too much by the time you’re back. Not starting at a deficit will make a huge difference on the rest of your season.

Participant
    planetmarshalluk on #13741

Thanks both for your replies. I actually have Steve’s intermediate plan which I purchased last Winter.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.