No AeT improvment

• Creator
    Topic
    Kellert62
    Participant

So i had a lactate test done August 12th, the results attached below. Brief over view they set AeT at 145, from there I set my zones based on TnFUA. Since That test i have put in 116 hrs Zone 2, 48 hrs Zone 1, 4h rs recovery below z1.

I did a HR drift test twp days ago starting with a hr of 135 at got 6-7% drift over the test.

My question are my zone to high or can training fatigue or suppress AeT? Current load is 10-12 hrs a week. Do i need to lower hr to 135 or 130?

Im 20 weeks from my A race and Im not worried about high intensity i just want the biggest and best AeT i can get for it.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    Pete on #39846

Hi,

I did a flat run yesterday and set my AeT at 135. Did a 45 min run and the results are as following:
    time = 0:46:36
    distance = 6,05 km
    Pa:Hr = 5,82%
    min HR = 127 BPM
    max HR = 146 BPM
    avg HR = 133 BPM
    1st lap avg HR = 136 BPM, avg pace = 7:27 min/km
    2st lap avg HR = 132 BPM, avg pace = 7:57 min/km

According to the results will set my AeT at 130 BPM and see what happens in the following month. Do you think that this is to ambitious?

I’am using a chest HR strap with Sunto HR watch.

Any thoughts and insights still welcome 🙂

Stay healthy.

Pete

Participant
    Reed on #39851

Hi Pete,

You mentioned in a previous post that you only have limited time available for training. How much time are you able to make? What has the past couple of weeks looked like in terms of running frequency & duration? The pace : heart rate calculation suggests that 130bpm is probably reasonable.

-Reed

Participant
    Pete on #39852

Hi Reed,

in the past 5 weeks I managed to squeeze in 5-6 hours of aerobic activity per week (running and uphill hiking, all done at or under AeT). I usually do 3 runs per week and 1 uphill hike per week. Two times per week I do strength training (SKCW and some general strength routines) in my living room. Occasionally I go on my bike, but only as a means of recovery which totals approximately 1-2 hours per week.

I adjusted my zones according to AeT being at 130 BPM.

That’s basically what my workouts look like.

Pete

Participant
    Reed on #39853

Speaking from personal experience, it should be very feasible to increase your flat running speed at AeT from your current 7:30/km (8kph) to 7:00/km, 6:00/km, 5:00/km… on five to six hours of training per week. Some graphs & numbers here: https://www.reedshea.com/posts/2020/2019-training/

If you can, I’d suggest trying to run more frequently. 30 minutes 5-6x per week will probably provide better outcomes than 60 minutes 3x per week. Like you, I also aim for 2x per week strength and one long run / hike (90+ minutes).

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39858

Over the months I haven’t seen much improvement in AeT (guess that it will change less and less as I get older…

Not necessarily. This is only true for athletes that have been training properly before their forties. If you’re new to proper endurance training, you’ll see noticeable gains. Although I’ve been very active my whole life, structured training improved my threshold speeds over 25% between 39 and 45.

Anyways, today will do another flat run with my zones adjusted to MAF method (upper limit of AeT set to 135) just to see what happens with Pa:Hr ratio. I would really like to find proper HR zone limits as I don’t have an abundance available time for training and would like to make the best out of every minute of it.

Do your AeT test on a treadmill. The other methods you used aren’t reliable enough to gather any useful information.

And as Dada implied, if you’re not using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, then don’t waste any more time recording workouts until you get one.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39863

Based on your averages, you had a negative heart rate drift: 132 / 136. Is that a typo? Were the numbers reversed?

Participant
    Pete on #39899

Thanks Reed for your thoughts.

Scott, I use a heart rate monitor watch with a chest strap. Been using one for the past 15 years or so 🙂

Yes, there was a typo. My first half was done at an average of 134 BPM, the second half at 132 BPM. TP calculated the Pa:Hr ratio of 5,82%.

But a weird thing happened yesterday. I went for a Z1 run (in the training plan it says to run at Aet minus 15 bpm for 30 min) and I tried to stay in the 115 BPM range. I used a nearby walking path which is flat. Came home, downloaded the data and in the first half my average HR was 114, in the second half it was 113 and TP calculated Pa:Hr ratio of 11,79%, duration of the run was 32 min. Is the calculation wrong or does this ratio only works for exercises longer than 1 hour? Can you see my confusion with this heart rate drift thing? Or am I just so stupid and don’t get the point of it all?

Any help with this would be very, very helpful.

Anyways I will try to find a gym with a treadmill but only after we get through this covid shit as everything is in lockdown at the moment and we only allowed to go out for a run, one by one.

Thanks again.

Stay healthy.

Pete

Participant
    death.jester on #39907

What Training Peaks shows you is the PA (Pace) vs. HR (Heartrate). So of course your heartrate can stay the same for the whole workout or in your case just be 1bmp apart, but if your pace goes down, the value will increase. You will see in your Training Peaks data for the run, that your pace went down, probably by ~11%, because your heartrate was more or less constant.

Participant
    Josef on #40668

Pete

I’m certainly not an expert. However, if I check the Pa:Hr values they don’t make sense if I don’t take out the warm-up part of the workout in the analysis. At the beginning the HR is very low and for me it takes about 10 to 15 mins to get my body working well especially in the morning. If I look at the Pa:Hr for a short workout, like your 32 mins run, this gives huge values. Maybe that’s the reason for your 11% increase.

Best regards and stay healthy,

Josef

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.