ME structure — ie, knees

• Creator
    Topic
    AshRick
    Participant

I’ve got my training plan. And my signed book!

Question about ME. I’ve tried a few times, but the split jumps are just too uncomfortable for my 60yo knees. Same with lunges. Just grinding and painful. Box steps are good, even with weight. So is hard uphill hiking with weight. I did a 13.5 mile 4000 foot long run Saturday and my knees feel fine. But the lunges and jumps…no go.

Any suggestions on structuring a consistent ME session that doesn’t involve split jumps or front lunges? Or just do more step-ups…?

• Participant
    Dada on #48864

Following

Participant
    benabbott50 on #48868

Same here! I have the same problem as Richard. I can do step ups, and hike with weight, but splits, and lunges……Ouch!

Participant
    AshRick on #48895

Add…my knee pain isn’t the cartilage between the surfaces, it’s in the knee cap. Hence, I can absorb normal running, but even moderate loaded hyperflexion hurts.

Participant
    mike on #48896

Maybe start the lunges and split jumps with 1/4 depth and reduced reps. At 59 and After 2 knee scopes on both knees, over the years I have found starting with something like 10 squats, 5 lunges (each leg), 5 jumping lunges, 10 jumping squats is a good starting point. Build upon that base to get where you want/need. Depth on lunges and jump lunges should be as tolerated

Participant
    Dada on #48918

Hi guys,

I can actually contribute something: I had problems with lunges. I substituted lunges with Bulgarian Split Squats. Works perfectly for me.

Dada

Participant
    cnikirk on #48944

I have a bit of arthritis under both knee caps so I know what you mean. I am still able to do lunges, but need a good warm up first or even a single ibuprofen I have found knocks down the inflammation. I wear thick knee sleeves as well. The first few lunges I only go part way until I feel loose then I’m good to go. Make sure you are getting your foot out far enough. You don’t want your toes under your knee.

I also suggest foam rolling and stretching for the quads, hams, glutes, calves. You could be super tight making the problem worse.

If things like that don’t help I would definitely remove them.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #49364

These are all good suggestions. Thanks, everyone.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.