Just Checking In | Uphill Athlete

Just Checking In

• Creator
    Topic
    rnate
    Participant

Hi UA Team,
    I’ve been using Luke and Mike’s plan for about year and a half now, with good results. I just wanted to check in and make sure I’m not missing something obvious. I’m 42 years old, started out with a severe case of ADS and some lingering injuries from running hard and fast for 7 previous years. It took about 8 months of very un-sexy zone 2 walking/running to rid myself of ADS. Finally, my AeT drift test was 3.9% at 148HR and my AnT was 162HR. If I’m calculating correctly, AeT was within 10% of AnT? At this point I started running mostly in zone 1. At first this was agonizingly slow, but surprisingly, in less than a month my pace quickened to within 1.5 minutes of my AeT pace. Now I’m doing a large percentage,75%, of my runs in zone 0, heart rates of 110 to 115. I’ve done three 50Ks and a 50 miler in this,”zone 0″, zone 1 style, and have felt great. Obviously I’m not going to win any races this way, but that’s not my goal. My goal is to be able to run at altitude in the mountains for 8 to 10 hours, then do it again the next day, then maybe again the next day. Something like the Wonderland Trail or the Tahoe Rim Trail. Am I on the right track here? Should I be doing something else or something differently?
    Thanks

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    TerryLui on #56175

Unsexy = fast
    Sounds like you’re on the right track, keep it up and be patient!
    Think “years” and not “months” 🙂

Am I on the right track here? Should I be doing something else or something differently?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Mountain Running’ is closed to new topics and replies.