Is this a normal HR pattern

• Creator
    Topic
    saltzmanjane
    Participant

On my rolling hill course I’ve noticed that on my second lap I have to slow my speed down 1 mph in order to stay below my AeT is this normal? I warm up before I start the course.

I do this course as a run/walk. I’m assuming the answer is my running form sucks but why do I have to slow my pace well below my walking pace to maintain my AeT?

Thanks

• Participant
    Shashi on #44586

I think it is normal. I have ADS and initially, on my Z2 runs, I had to walk/run to maintain HR below AeT. Over the last few months, as AeT improved I can now run for the entire one-hour workout while remaining in Zone 2. But still, I have to drop my pace later in the run.

The first section of this article might provide some insight.

Heart Rate Drift: A Functional Measure of Aerobic Fitness

Hope this is helpful.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44629

Shashi is correct. The reason your HR climbs on the second lap is that you have exceeded your aerobic capacity. This is the exact reason we use the HR Drift test in determining AeT.

Read that article and it should explain things.

Scott

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44630

Shashi is correct. The reason your HR climbs on the second lap is that you have exceeded your aerobic capacity. This is the exact reason we use the HR Drift test in determining AeT.

Read that article and it should explain things.

Scott

Participant
    saltzmanjane on #44646

Would it be better to slow down the first lap and then be able to keep a consistent pace for both laps?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44652

Would it be better to slow down the first lap and then be able to keep a consistent pace for both laps?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.