Group Intros!

• Creator
    Topic
    Lauren Miller
    Participant

Hello to all!

I am excited to meet you all and hear about what exciting things you’re training for!

My name is Lauren and I’m between Bishop and Berkeley, California right now. After three years of working on the Yosemite Valley Search & Rescue team and climbing nearly full-time, I’m now back in grad school full time studying journalism at Berkeley. It’s been a hard lifestyle transition and am psyched for some more structure to my training. I climb, run, and ski and am currently training for a spring ski traverse of Yosemite.

If anyone here is in northern California, I’d love to meet up for adventures!

• Participant
    Lindsay Hunt on #62053

Hi everyone! My name is Lindsay and I am currently living life in Salt Lake at the base of the Cottonwoods. Since I moved here about 4 years ago I’ve pushed myself but struggled to notice myself getting better in my outdoor passions which are running, backcountry skiing, and climbing. My fiancé and the rest of my friend group all have quite the outdoor resume (Outward Bound, guiding, and SAR) but it’s still so frustrating to me that I can never keep up. I’m so excited to be here to help myself find the tools that my body needs in order to improve in the mountains and I cant wait to see where they take me in the future. I really am looking forward to the days following big mountain adventures where I wake up and I’m not aching 🙂 My fitness goals this year are to ski up to Camp Muir this spring, Packraft/Backpack 200ish miles in the Brooks Range this summer, and run my first trail Marathon in Utah’s desert this fall. Also not get bored to death of saying in Zone 2 😉 Trust the process!! Not sure how often I’ll be able to see you all in real time on zoom (due to work) but if you ever want to reach out and go skiing shoot me an email lhunt413@gmail.com The snow is amaaaaazing here 🙂

Participant
    Melanie Hunter on #62106

Hi Everyone,
    Wow, it’s really interesting reading everyone’s bios and goals!

I’m Melanie, and I currently live in Anchorage, Alaska but I grew up hiking, skiing, and mountain biking in Colorado. After college I spent several years as a sawyer on hotshot crews (wildland fire) followed by a few years in the Army as a blackhawk pilot. During all that time I took my strength for granted and adopted the “there has to be a harder way” method of training that characterizes those male-dominated arenas. As a result, through my 20’s and 30’s I often found myself overtrained and exhausted. Now at 49 (Tonya, we are four days apart in age) I’m working on resurrecting enough endurance to run a Colorado mountain marathon-I miss my home state and hope to move back soon!

Participant
    Lindsey McGuire on #62107

Love to hear where everyone is coming from both in location and background! My name is Lindsey and I am a 33 yo living in Portland Oregon. My passions are backcountry skiing, hiking, and cycling but I want to get more into trail running. This is my second round of FUA and this round I am going to focus on the walk to run transition. I would like to sign up for a race goal soon. I have a trip to France planned in August to hike the TMB along with numerous backcountry ski hut trips this winter that I am training for. I have some imposter syndrome being in this group so I appreciate that FUA can cater to both beginner and advanced athletes – its feels really inclusive! I also want to make sure I am respecting my body and resting when needed, without feeling the guilt of missing training.

Participant
    Anna Lowry on #62124

Hello! My name is Anna and I live near Portsmouth, NH! I enjoy running, downhill and backcountry skiing and hiking. In 2019, my husband and I got into mountaineering and followed one of the Uphill Athlete training programs in preparation for hiking Mt. Rainier. Although we didn’t summit due to weather conditions (made it to 12,500ft), it was one of my proudest athletic accomplishments and probably the fittest I’ve ever been all thanks to Uphill Athlete!

This past August, I had my first baby and I wanted to do this program to help me get back into training. My goal for 2022 is to run the NE Greenriver Marathon in VT in August!

Participant
    Kristy Levorson on #62227

Caseyfoskett, I was looking into signing up for the Silverton Alpine 50k as my other race in Silverton got cancelled already for the summer. I just love that area 🙂

Participant
    Erica on #62256

Hey ladies! I’m late to the game here – but I’ve loved reading everyones intros! There are some badass women in here (of course!). I live in Colorado at 8500′ bouncing between Conifer and Grand Lake.

I’m a wildlife photographer and graphic designer, and I love doing all of the things in the mountains – right now mostly trail running, ice climbing, long distance backpacking, XC skiing, yoga, alpine scrambling, and mellow easy hikes with my 3 great danes!

I’ve had a streak of back luck with my health and injury since 2019 that has really kept me from reaching any big goals in years. Most recently I’ve been dealing with spine injury from a lifetime of snowboard/skateboarding/climbing falls…that were compounded by a bad chiropractic adjustment that left me nearly paralyzed (be careful with “twist-and-crack” chiropractors, ladies!). After a year of insurance battles and 2 spine surgeries – I am officially back to all of the things I love and allowed to resume a normal active life again with no restrictions! I’m SO excited! My primary focus right now is trail running, and I’m celebrating my return to normalcy with training for the Leadville Trail Marathon in June. My only goal is to not get injured while training, and to finish before cut-off…and I’ll be thrilled!

I’m also hoping this training will get my endurance and mountain legs back so I can spend the rest of the summer doing big days and long trails again in the mountains.

If any of you in Colorado want to get together I would be stoked to! erica@ericaruch.com 978.810.5118.

Participant
    anne.o.karl on #62467

Hi all,

So fun to read everyone’s intros! My name is Anne, and I live in Killington, VT. My biggest passion is ski touring and ski mountaineering, but I also love hiking, mountain biking, climbing, and trail running. I have two little kids (almost 3 and almost 1). I was pretty active during both pregnancies, but still recovering from having a baby takes a long time! Between fertility treatments, 2 pregnancies, and 2 recoveries, I am THRILLED to be back to training for me, and I am excited to see what I can achieve. This is round 2 of FUA for me, and the first go was so helpful in bringing more structure and helping me realize that I could find more time for fitness even with the little ones.

My goals are generally to feel strong and awesome in the mountains, and like I could go forever. More specifically, I have a ski touring trip in Europe planned for mid-March, and I want to be able to do 5-6 days in a row of 5-6k vertical and still be smiling.Come spring, I’ll probably work on more trail running. And I want to be able to do 5 pull ups again! I will say the self-doubt is often the hardest thing, so it is great to have a plan.

If you are in New England and want to get out for a ski or hike, let me know! anne.o.karl@gmail.com.

Cheers,
    Anne

Participant
    Annemarie Ketola on #74752

Hi! I’m Annemarie,

I live in Seattle and like doing all the outdoor things. I’m coming off rouge dresser toe injury and an early season land shark attack knee injury so I’m hoping to just slowly get back into shape so I’m ready for the summer as well as lose some weight. I backcountry ski patrol during the winter and am hoping to ultra run and mountaineer this summer. I have three fluffy puppies I skijor with and I love being out in nature.

Participant
    kdetroy on #74818

Hi! I’m Katherine and I live in Connecticut. I ski, run, hike, bike (though not as much since my kids were born–it’s a big time commitment!), and play tennis. I’ve been getting into trail running and have noticed how much happier I am to be in the woods than on the road. Especially since Covid, I’ve realized how much training and getting outside is as essential for my mental health as it is for my physical health.

As for goals, my husband and I are going to Telluride next month and will do some ski touring, and we would like to climb the Grand Teton (guided) this summer for my 40th birthday. I don’t have much climbing experience, so that’s another thing I’m working on this spring. Overall, I need to establish more of an aerobic base so I can build my endurance (I want to suffer better, haha) and I’m interested in the mental side of training to push past self doubt, imposter syndrome, etc. Most of all, though, I’m looking forward to meeting some likeminded, supportive women.

I’d love to meet up to train if anyone is in the CT/Western MA area, or up near Stowe, VT this winter!

Participant
    Raven Cashen on #74886

Hey there! This is Raven Cashen – I’m an aspiring AMGA/IFMGA guide and mountain athlete based in Telluride, CO. The San Juans have been my home base for the last 4 winters and it’s the most beautiful mountain range I could have imagined ending up in. I can adventure from my front door and am a part of an extremely fit adventure athlete community that inspires me daily to improve. Every April/May and October/November our mountain town goes into “off-season” and I usually leave town for Alaska/British Columbia in the spring then to the desert in the fall. I’ve been mountaineering, backcountry skiing, trad climbing, and ice climbing for the last six seasons. I am looking to dial in my training, get consistent, make awesome connections with other female athletes, and increase my capacity to move efficiently in the mountains while feeling confident (instead of anxious about my performance). I’m still fleshing out specific goals for the next six weeks but, I know ultimately what I’d like to be able to achieve in the mountains and this is a part of me getting there – I am excited to get going!

Participant
    Becky C. on #74936

Hi! I’m Becky; I’m 46 and a mom to 2 teenagers. I live in Saratoga Springs, New York: 3 hours north of New York City. I loved reading all your inteoductions.

I’ve been climbing for 27 years, was a local rock and ice guide in New York in my 20s, had my first child at 30, and was a stay a home mom until age 43. (I loved that) took my little, ones climbing a ton from age 3-11.
    Now, they aren’t into it, so I climb for fun!

As I get older I’m understanding the importance of cardio for heart heath. I’ve been cruising by with strength training and mindful eating. So I might look like I’m in shape, but when I get on an uphill there is room for lots improvement!

I’m interested in longevity lately and and being in the proper heart rate zome is one of the biggest predictors of it (or so I read!)

From age 13 to 38, I was diagnosed with exercised induced Asthma. So I spent all those years avoiding or trying to hide how hard breathing was when I picked up the pace. The medications never really helped. Then I had a Doctor diagnose me with silent reflux. He said every time I exerted myself acid would go into my lungs and vocal cords and make breathing difficult. At age 38 I had surgery to correct the reflux and now the problem is GONE. I never had Asthma. Ni more breathing problems.

I’m here to learn! So excited. Cardio and endurance have always been my weakness and I know that the accountantabilty from a group of like minded women will really help me!

I was in this group a year ago but did not take it seriously enough. This year I’m so ready!

I have a small buisness online,where I make video content for brands, mostly outdoor and climbing related. I’m hoping to post about my progress on my Instagram stories to help me with accountability.
    I’m @becky.newyork on Instagram.

So excited to get to know all of you!

Participant
    Maureen Molinari on #74960

I’m Maureen, I am 58, live in Wyoming and looking forward to being a part of this group. In the winter I ski at the resort and also enjoying skinning up our town hill, Snow King, and I riding my fat back. Life got busy and I have not backcountry skied in the past 10 years, I miss it though, and want to improve my uphill fitness to return to backcountry skiing. I also have some interest in touring in Norway or Japan. During snow-free seasons (ha!) I love mountain biking, hiking, and backpacking, and whatever else comes up. I joined this group for extra motivation and to stay strong and active throughout my life.

Participant
    Piedad Barillas-Bird on #74977

Hello Everyone. So nice to read about people that are on this 2023 FUA forum. Looking forward to kicking it up a notch this year. I did this forum last year and loved it. Kept me on point and I learned A LOT… like A LOT! I am an Acupuncturist in Kaikoura, New Zealand and I love trail / Mountain running/ hiking. I have plans and I endeavour to carry out those plans as best as I can with strength and grace. I’m reading about all you guys from New York, Connecticut, and Vermont!!!! I grew up in New York and I would have loved to connect to you all and head out on fun excursions. I moved to New Zealand…will be 15 years ago this coming March. I’m a mom to a beautiful daughter and wife to a mountain man – hunter/ surfer. Training is hard to get the time in, but I MAKE it happen. I just need to be super organised. Probably why I love this forum and training bc it doesn’t allow me to sloth and side with my dreamy Piscean self. I missed the orientation call as I signed up late but look forward to meeting you all on zoom. Oh right, I’m 46 and perimenopausal “Fun times” so being with like-minded women and able to discuss being a woman in our sports is so important to me.

Participant
    Suzanne Hackett on #74978

Hi everyone. It’s so lovely to meet you here. I am a Kiwi currently in New Zealand enjoying some glorious summer runs in our hills. In 3 weeks I return to my other home in the French Alps, near Geneva and Chamonix. I’ve been an active mountain person my entire life – alpine skiing, ski-touring and hiking. However I fell in love with cross-country skiing (skating style) a few years ago and have become kinda ‘hooked’. I noticed early on that I could cover some nice long distances with some reasonable vertical if I slowed my pace, so I guess without consciously deciding to, I discovered the benefit of working more in my aerobic base. I also really enjoyed the stamina and strength I developed, so to maintain that I decided to get back into running for off season training between northern and southern hemi-sphere winters. Fortunately my friend Piedred (also in this group) told me about aerobic-base training and put me onto Uphill Athlete. I immediately scheduled to talk with an UA coach who got me sorted on Training Peaks with a coaching plan and threshold instructions, Chamonix Mountain Fit and UA yoga with Bree. I have wanted to do this Forum for a while so I can learn more and also meet more like minded women. I feel the fittest and strongest I have felt for years since following an UA training plan and am really looking forward to learning and developing more. In terms of goals, I’d like to be completing 50km events within respectable times for my age group (I’m 56 in 6 weeks), by the end of this year. That feels really do-able now – whereas a few months ago I would have said that with a question mark attached to it, as in, “is that a ridiculous goal????” 🙂

Participant
    Jennifer Bealer on #75009

Hello, just joined today, been wanting to check this out for a while, i have been self coaching myself for years and its time to learn some new things. I am a jewelry designer here in Denver, CO, and on the weekends im a mountain warrior. I just got back from Aconcagua, spent 6 nights at 18k ft waiting on a weather window but it never stopped snowing, i made it to 21k ft, 6400Meters. I have been climbing/mountaineering since 2009. i will be returning to Rainier for a 3rd attempt (keep getting stormed off, seems to be a theme with me) with my students this summer. I am the Director of Glacier Travel and a trip leader for the Colorado Mountain Club. if our Avy conditions ever improve in CO i plan to get out for some winter 14er summits here in the coming weeks, i play out side all year round.
    heres my insta handle if anyone wants to see pics. https://www.instagram.com/extra_credit_mountaineer/
    excited to get to know you all.
    side note, anyone know how to get a profile pic added? cant seem to find it anywhere.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.