Group Intros!

• Creator
    Topic
    Lauren Miller
    Participant

Hello to all!

I am excited to meet you all and hear about what exciting things you’re training for!

My name is Lauren and I’m between Bishop and Berkeley, California right now. After three years of working on the Yosemite Valley Search & Rescue team and climbing nearly full-time, I’m now back in grad school full time studying journalism at Berkeley. It’s been a hard lifestyle transition and am psyched for some more structure to my training. I climb, run, and ski and am currently training for a spring ski traverse of Yosemite.

If anyone here is in northern California, I’d love to meet up for adventures!

• Participant
    Sheena Stevens on #75014

Hi all – my name is Sheena and I just joined today! I live in the Bay Area (CA) and work as a User Experience researcher. I grew up in Northern California and have loved spending time in the Sierras for as long as I can remember. I love to ride my bike, and hike and backpack, and this is my second season of doing backcountry splitboarding (yay to climbing mountains in the winter now too)!. I’ve got a lot of work to do building up a base, and I need to have more discipline in training in order to have more fun, be safer, and go further doing the things I love. I’m not training for any particular event, but I would love to be able to be confident that I can put in a 10,000 ft day come volcano-skiing season in the springtime, and cover more ground (and more passes) on summer backpack trips, as well as understand my body, heart, fitness, and general health better than I currently do — I feel like a newb when it comes to training, and it feels good to be joining this group of awesome women to embark on this journey!

Participant
    Juliana Tenenbaum on #75028

Hi Lauren! I’m actually in Oakland. I’d love to connect and maybe be training buddies? I’m reachable at (818) 421-5585.

Participant
    Juliana Tenenbaum on #75029

Hi Sheena! I’m in the Bay area- Oakland actually- if you could use a training buddy.
    -Juliana

Participant
    Jennifer Stertzer on #75045

Hi all, my name is Jennifer and I live in Scottsville, Virginia. I enjoy biking, kayaking, and hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. During the summers, I usually travel west to explore the PNW, CA, Alaska, etc. and am slowly getting into mountaineering. I am currently training for Mt. Baker and am looking forward to learning from the group!

Participant
    Sara Antonson on #75047

Hi all!!

I’m Sara, 36 years old from Minneapolis, MN and just newly into endurance activities. My mindset has always been about intensity and bursts of power but this is slowly starting to change as I want to explore more of what my body is capable of. I have been a pole dance instructor for about 10 years and have started incorporating Tai Chi Chih, Qi Gong, and Pilates over the last few years (too hypermobile for too much yoga). By day, I’m a mental health therapist in a high school setting with adolescents, so staying active is a big part of what keeps me healthy inside and out.

I’m training for Rainier this July, which will be my first attempt and second ever mountaineering experience. I have an old injury flare going on with my knee so my climb may be delayed if I need surgery but I’m motivated to put in the work from the ground up all while listening to my body’s needs! I feel really grateful to be connected to others in this space and learn as much as I can!

Participant
    Nadia Chigmaroff on #75067

Hi everyone!

I’m Nadia – I’m 21 and I live in Toronto, although I spend roughly half my time in Vancouver to get my outdoors fix (and see my family, I guess).
    I grew up exposed to lots of different outdoor activities thanks to my adventurous parents, and then I pretty much turned into a library-dwelling hermit for my four years of university. Now that I’m free, I’m stoked on a ton of different adventures – I rock climb regularly, do a lot of yoga, run, ski, hike… and I’d also love to try some new things, like surfing and bushcraft.

I’m training to climb Guaranteed Rugged, the tallest bolted route in North America, with my mom (who’s also in this group). I’d also like to hit some running goals, and generally build a strong base that can help me to feel confident and strong regardless of the activity I’m pursuing.

Excited to get started with the program and develop as much as possible!

Participant
    Brenda Davison on #75069

Hi All,

I’m Brenda, Nadia’s mom. I unfortunately cannot join the Wednesday Zoom meetings as I am lecturing at that time. But I am here and doing all the training (so far!).

I’m 57 and live half time in Vancouver B.C. and the other half in Bellingham WA.

I love the outdoors – hike, climb, ski, bike, paddle etc. My favourite activity is moderate rock climbs in the alpine.

I need more fitness so I can keep up for as long as possible with my 21 year old daughter! with whom I hope to do as much climbing as she and time will permit.

I’m glad we are started and I look forward to meeting some of you at some point!

Brenda.

Participant
    Amanda Woodtke on #75100

Hello ladies! I’m in Alberta, Canada. I hike/scramble, am relatively new to rock climbing/bouldering and just started leading easy climbs outdoors, I also mountain bike and SUP in the summer and recently got into multi-day backpacking trips. I trained for my first 10km run last summer and am working towards a 33km trail run (the Coulee Cactus Crawl in Lethbridge) and the Banff half marathon this June. I got into split boarding last year and recently ski touring (I was a dual level 2 instructor) and have done some multi-day trips this winter and am doing the Wapta traverse in March. I also started ice climbing last winter and am wanting to climb a WI5 this winter. My partner excels in all of these activities and I want to be able to keep up! It would be great to also meet some like-minded women to do these activities with as well. Even though I am a Personal Trainer and do some coaching myself (specializing in muscle imbalances and bridging the gap between rehab and performance), I love being coached and having someone/something pushing me and keeping me accountable. Looking forward to crushing some goals together!

Participant
    sally kentch on #75260

Hi everyone,

I am Sally, a 69 year old ex-runner, who hikes, nordic skis, bikes, backpacks and does the occasional back-country ski. As I have aged I note that my balance, general strength and endurance has decreased and so since retiring I have focused on routines that will help me keep fit so I can do the activiites I love. I live in Washington and spend time in the Methow Valley which is a playground for all the above mentioned sports. Looking forward to learning more about my body and hearing about your experiences through this program.

Participant
    Lianna Miller on #75314

Hey Gang,
    I’m Lianna Miller.

What a rad group of ladies.

I’m here to have a bit more structure and accountability to keep me getting outside. I get to work as an engineer in the sustainability world, which is super cool, but it can also take over my life really easily.

I’m also lucky enough to live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I was serious about mountain biking for a long time, really enjoy nordic skiing, and do a few modest ski mountaineering trips every year — Got to sneak in some great early season lines in Chamonix this December. It was my first time there and now I’m dreaming up ways to get back :). Has anyone here done the Haute Route?

Last session I did the “regular” UA mountaineering group with some buddies, really excited to join the cool kids club (FUA).

Participant
    Juliana Tenenbaum on #75354

Hi Brietta,
    I would love to do baker or any of the other washington mountains, Could we connect on this? I’m easily reachable via email as well at julianatenenbaum@gmail.com.

Participant
    Cassie Bub on #75429

Hi all! I’m Cassie Bub, training for a Rainier climb this July! (Will be my third attempt so wish me luck haha) I live in Seattle so feel free to message on WhatsApp or email – cassie.bub@gmail.com – if you want to train together! Big on snowboarding and snowshoeing on the weekends right now but hiking season is on it’s way!

Viewing 12 replies - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.