Freeride plan and ADS

• Creator
    Topic
    JB
    Participant

I am a few weeks into the 12 week freeride plan, and I did the Ant test last week. Aet-131/Ant-161. I was expecting to have ADS. I was on crutches for total 5 months during three separate periods from July ’18 to April ’19, for injury and subsequent surgeries. After finding your material and reading your books. I focused on walking hiking this past summer.

Instructions are to focus on Aet zone 2, but there doesnt seem to be the slots for that to fit in coming up. There are zone 1 long hikes. That seems to be a focus onto itself and wouldn’t get bumped up to zone 2-correct? There are recovery hikes, but once again they seem to important unto themselves-correct? Would the Aerobic endurance get modified? Also, coming up when the muscular endurance begins- instructions are to keep things in zone 1. Does this all mean-just stick with the plan and no changes? Would the Aet/Ant gap still diminish, albeit slower, without the zone 2 focus?

Thanks a bunch.

Posted In: Ski Mountaineering

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #32274

Hey JB,

I would recommend spending as much time as you can up at that 130bpm heart rate while you seek to improve the Aerobic Threshold, particularly if you can do so at a low perceived effort. This would include the recovery sessions in the Freeride plan, though pay heed to how your body feels on those days and lower the effort if you’re quite tired and/or sore.

When you get to week 6 and the beginning of the muscular endurance work it becomes even more important to retain that aerobic workload so stick with using your AeT of 130bpm as your target HR. I would also suggest re-testing that AeT using a drift test on a treadmill every 4-5 weeks to check for improvements, as it will undoubtedly rise as you build up the volume.

Good luck,
    Sam.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #32281

JB;
    Keep in mind that the Freeride plan is principally designed for skiers looking to ski steep lines. So it is heavily leg strength biased. Note the description:

This is the plan for expert back country skiers and ski mountaineers who seek out the steep lines on big mountains. This advanced level plan is intended primarily for skiers who will skin or climb to the top of their objective. It will also serve well for heli or lift-assisted skiers looking to improve their all mountain skiing. The plan is not for novices and assumes you have a solid physical conditioning, no current injuries and have been very active over the summer but are looking to put the final touches on your fitness during the fall.

So this a plan for adding some specific strength and muscular endurance to an already well established base. If you want to cure the ADS then one of our more traditional ski mountaineering plans or skimo plans would be better. Or you can supplement the one you have with more aerobic base work. Not rocket science. Just add more easy volume.

Scott

Participant
    JB on #33931

Yes I understand it may not be the best choice, but I find it good enough and I am enjoying it. I will start a new program I the spring. Ian considering the the Big vert, as it seems to be a quite adaptable.

Retested Aet. Due to situation where I used the treadmill. I ended up starting With too higher HR than one tended. (One can’t use the treadmill there for more than an hour, so I do warm up, the. Have to start over). 144 first half. 154 second half. That’s a 6.5% spread. My original Aet (early November) was 131 (5% spread). I don’t really want retest within 4 weeks (on treadmill). Is it reasonable to assume Aet is now 135, maybe 138?

Finally, any fudge factors for downhill skiing, assuming consistent intensity?
    Cheers.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.