Fasted Training and nutrition

• Creator
    Topic
    Melissa Macdonald
    Participant

So I am about to get back into training mode and have a question about fasted training and nutrition in general. If I have a fasted training session in the morning, do I eat something small afterwards for recovery, and then a standard lunch? Should I be having a mid-afternoon snack if I usually don’t eat dinner until late? I’m a bit confused about the timing of eating when doing fasted training sessions. I definitely am one who doesn’t eat enough so I’m trying to break out of that this time around. I’m just not all that hungry most of the time but I know I need fuel if I am going to perform better.

For context: fasted training would be on days I work from home, prior to logging in to work. I’m an office worker-bee and WFH 2 days a week and in the office 3x/week. I pretty much have access to food and the time to eat it (meaning, I’m not stuck in a car for hours on end). I have more than enough information on specifics of *what* to eat; I’m more trying to figure out the *when* aspect.

Thanks for any advice/input.
    Melissa

• Participant
    Shashi on #60907

“Eating right after your workout will speed your recovery.”

Check out this article on fasted training –

Tips for Fasted Training

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #61027

@melissa-macdonald I posed this question to Coach Carolyn and these are her responses:

Q. So I am about to get back into training mode and have a question about fasted training and nutrition in general. If I have a fasted training session in the morning, do I eat something small afterwards for recovery,
    A. Yes within 30min with carbs and protein, plus quality fats a good recovery shake is always nice or fruit with nut butter.

Q. and then a standard lunch?
    A. Yes a standard meal within an hour of completing training the after training snack is just to get fuel on board quickly to support proper recovery. The next meal however should not be delayed. So ideally do not skip breakfast.

Q. Should I be having a mid-afternoon snack if I usually don’t eat dinner until late?
    A. Yes, you ideally want to be consuming calories every 3- 4 hours.

Q. I’m a bit confused about the timing of eating when doing fasted training sessions.
    A. Only the workout should be fasted and that is just to help with metabolic efficiency. If you have a history of not eating enough you may want to skip the fasted training, unless you have significant ADS. If you need the fasted training for helping with that plan to eat all regular meals with snacks through the day and the recovery snack right after the session is finished.

Q. I definitely am one who doesn’t eat enough so I’m trying to break out of that this time around. I’m just not all that hungry most of the time but I know I need fuel if I am going to perform better.

For context: fasted training would be on days I work from home, prior to logging in to work. I’m an office worker-bee and WFH 2 days a week and in the office 3x/week. I pretty much have access to food and the time to eat it (meaning, I’m not stuck in a car for hours on end). I have more than enough information on specifics of *what* to eat; I’m more trying to figure out the *when* aspect.

A. Then send her this link for more Q & A.

Talking Fasted Training With Staff Performance Dietitian Rebecca Dent

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.