Estimating AeT

• Creator
    Topic
    crouch.k
    Participant

Hi,

I’m new here. I’m transferring from road to longer trail running and I’m trying to figure out my AeT. I currently can’t get on a treadmill due to lockdown 2 here and it’s kinda hilly round here, so I know it’s never going to be perfect, however my estimates seem a little high and I wanted to know if they make sense.

Initially, I was using nose breathing to give me a rough estimate. I maintained a nose breathing pace for around an hour after warming up. My average heart rate was 160.

That seemed a little high to me, so I started looking at HR drift data for several runs done at nose-breathing pace as well. I hadn’t set out to use these runs for drift testing so they aren’t ideal, but I think they are telling me I am in the right ballpark. However, this still seems a lot higher than most people report.

I have attached three examples. They are mostly a little short after trimming off the warm up and parts where I slowed down for other reasons (bad footing). Any input would be appreciated.

For some background, I am a 40 year old female. I suspect most of my previous training (for road 10km and half marathons) has been too fast, however I also cycle to work and spend a lot of time hiking in the mountains so I probably get a reasonable volume of aerobic zone work that way. Resting HR is ~53, max is ~189. I don’t have a recent lactate threshold, but a guestimate from my last half is ~172.

• Participant
    crouch.k on #47121

Apologies, uploads didn’t work well, trying again!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Inactive
    Anonymous on #47132

I think these runs are usable for HR drift tests. For the selected range the elevation gain/loss is in the range of 50ft over 50+ min of running. That’s plenty flat enough.

From these tests I think you would be safe to use 158-160 for AeT. The true test for you will be to see if you can get out and do the same workout again tomorrow and then the day after and day after with no fatigue.

Scott

Participant
    crouch.k on #47139

Great, thanks! I realise that this is individual for everyone, but from leafing through similar posts on here and talking to other people, it seems like values in the 130s and1 140s are more usual, so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t mis-interpreting.

On a typical week I’ll run three days midweek and both days on the weekend. I use my Saturday run for faster work, but everything else is currently at this kind of pace. The midweek runs may or may not be back to back depending on how I fit them around work, but this week they were Tues/Wed/Thur (after a tempo on Sat and a long slow run on Sun the preceding week). I’m building distance back up after a somewhat sedentary summer so they aren’t particularly long at the moment (6km, 10km, 6km). I’m not feeling fatigue from those at the moment – I’ll watch for that as my distances increase.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #47984

…it seems like values in the 130s and1 140s are more usual…

Heart rates are like fingerprints: unique to the individual and not comparable to anyone else. I’ve seen AeT as low as 130 and as high as 190. One is not better than the other. In terms of bpm, it’s only relevant to you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.