Basic questions of understanding

• Creator
    Topic
    Marion
    Participant

Well, the main question is, did I get anything wrong because of language barriers, even though my English (especially reading) should be sufficient to read any text about the human body and sports science or is my body not capable of doing something my brain wants it to do.
    AeT is the point on the lactate curve, where blood lactate level is 2mmol/l? Z1 is around 15% below and AeT itself is the upper end of Z2?

When I did a lactate test a month ago, AeT was at 139bpm. And since that day, I‘m trying to figure out, how to move at or up to 15% below this heart rate.
    For sure, I can use the indoor bike at a certain speed and resistance to have this heart rate, but my goal is to do outdoor hiking/running based sports, not cycling at laboratory conditions.
    When running (snail like), I can easily talk or nose breath, but the lowest heart rate I ever ran at, was 147 (average over a whole 45min run).
    March to October, I spent much time hiking the mountains around (1300km). Looking back on my Garmin‘s recordings, most of these hikes met Z1-2 even without knowing, exceeding it only on some very steep uphill- only hikes lately and on the very first tours in spring, when I wasn‘t trained at all.

I’m obviously having ADS, but why didn’t all those kilometers contribute to remove or at least minimize it?
    Is the change between hiking and running causing issues? Is my body so highly adapted to this hiking movement sequence/physical strain and is not yet adapted to running more (did 1-2 short runs per week in summer)?
    Or am I generally under- trained? Well, sure am, but I think my goals are also adjusted to life with a full time+ job, just want to be able to run a half marathon as I was earlier in life (already having this job). No need to run an Ultra or similar…

Sorry for writing that long,
    Marion

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #46454

Marion;

I suspect that the problem is that your running economy is poor relative to your hiking economy. This means it costs you a lot of energy (and O2) to run and so your hr is higher, maybe even for the same speeds you could hike.

Running is less economical than walking for most people up to about 6km/hr. Then running becomes more economical. Everyone will be a bit different of course and this is a generalization. you can experiment on yourself but walking at this snail like pace and see if you HR drops compared to running at the same slow pace.

With all those km in the past few months I don’t see how you could have ADS.

Did you do the lactate test hiking or running? You need to do the test using the modality you want to train.

To improve running economy you need to run and it can be difficult in a situation like yours. What we do in these situations is to use a run/walk progression. You might start with 1-2 min run with 3-4 min walk repeated for as long as you feel comfortable. over the course of weeks you can increase the run time and decrease the walk time until you are running. During the run times do not work about HR.

Scott

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.