Timing of recovery workouts | Uphill Athlete

Timing of recovery workouts

• Creator
    Topic
    Mariner_9
    Participant

Is it possible to do recovery workouts too soon after the event that caused the fatigue? Asking because I often end up doing an objective (ski tour or hike) then do a recovery workout when I get back.

I realise that the supercompensation should take ~24-72 hours depending on the duration and intensity of the event, so I presume that doing a recovery workout after recovery is complete is essentially a waste of time. Please correct me if I’m wrong on that.

• Participant
    Rachel on #55787

Do you feel better after the recovery workout than before you started? Personally I prefer to err on the side of extra recovery and rest.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #56004

Hi Rachel,

I think the proximate recovery workouts help. They’re short (about one hour) and almost all 40-60% HR. That said, hard to be sure given the number of other variables involved.

Participant
    TerryLui on #56169

My understanding of the recovery workouts is it’s meant to AID in recovery. So like you and Rachel have highlighted, if you’re feeling better after the recovery workout then I’d say it’s at a good (low) intensity level.

Also, if the thought of “doing a recovery workout” isn’t really appealing at the moment, pay attention to that signal as it’s likely your body is telling you to rest a bit more.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.