? Regarding 20 week Training Plan

• Creator
    Topic
    jobois
    Participant

I am considering purchasing the 20-week training plan for intro to ultra running. However, I am not sure if it will be what I am looking for. My goal this summer is to a “Hut Traverse” in the Whites, NH. It is 49 miles and 15,000 feet of elevation gain and classic rocky technical White Mountain trails in under 24 hours. I have done similar types of hikes, but this would be the toughest and farthest to date. Historically, I do not “train” for my endeavors, but was thinking that this might be a good goal to have a bit of structure around. Would this plan be what I was looking for? Should I modify some of the running for hiking? Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #4393

jobois;

Having done some long runs in the Presidential range of the White Mountains I am pretty familiar with the rocky nature and the steepness of the trails. If you are planning to cover this much terrain in under 24 hours I suspect you will need to be running a good bit of it. That is exactly what this training plan is geared towards. Ultra runners on very hilly courses normally walk the steep hills as well. This plan is progressive in that it builds from 25 mile weeks to finally hitting 50 miles in the biggest week. Consistency and building of that time on your feet is going to key to the success of this or any other training program.

I hope this helps.
    Scott

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.