Questions on Luke Nelson's 50k plan

• Creator
    Topic
    samtugwell
    Participant

Hi, I’m about to start the 50k plan and have a couple of questions:

1) My Aet is within 10% of my Ant. The base (longer) runs are at 80-100% of Aet (Zone 2?), and the recovery (shorter) at 70-80% (Zone 1). Bearing in mind the lack of ADS, should I switch the longer workouts to zone 1 and the shorter to Zone 2? I’m not mega fit or fast, but my thresholds do seem to sit in the 10% range.

2) I’m thinking of switching up the terrain between muddy trails with a few hills, and roads with fewer hills. The roads would be to increase my cadence and actual running because I’m considerably slower on trail. Would I be sacrificing base by being quicker on the road? (The plan is distance based so I would get the distance but in a shorter workout)

My goal is mainly just to get out running more, maybe a trail marathon with 800m vert (not massive), and general fitness for hillwalking & mountaineering when I get the chance.

Thanks

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #38951

The base (longer) runs are at 80-100% of Aet (Zone 2?), and the recovery (shorter) at 70-80% (Zone 1).

In general, we recommend that Zone 2 be set at 90-100% of AeT, and Zone 1, 90% and less.

Bearing in mind the lack of ADS, should I switch the longer workouts to zone 1 and the shorter to Zone 2?

It depends entirely on fatigue. At some point, you’ll have the realization that you can’t sustain a lot of volume in Zone 2. That may not happen right away, because it depends on speed. As your aerobic capacity increases, your paces at each intensity will increase. Eventually, Zone 2 training will feel more like Zone 3 in effort.

In my own training, my HR thresholds were very close for almost ten years. It was a long time, probably because I was very active with a lot of volume, but without much structure. Once I was on a progressive, structured program, it took three years before I had to back off on Zone 2. I just had the realization one day, “I can’t do this anymore.” At that point, almost all of my training shifted to Zone 1 or lower. (I now use a “Zone 0”.) It’s not uncommon.

The roads would be to increase my cadence and actual running because I’m considerably slower on trail. Would I be sacrificing base by being quicker on the road?

I don’t think that there’s a disadvantage, especially with your marathon not having a lot of gain.

Participant
    samtugwell on #39105

Great, thanks for clearing this up!

Participant
    Eric T on #39244

@Scott

I too thought it was weird that the 50k plan does say 70-80% of AeT for some the runs which would put me at Zone 0-1. I am in the same boat as Sam that my AeT and AnT are within 10% but I am not fast.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39248

I am in the same boat as Sam that my AeT and AnT are within 10% but I am not fast.

“Fast” is relative to your genetic potential, not to other athletes.

For example, I’ve competed against the best in the world in skimo, and I got crushed. My race pace is “fast” for me, but it’s something the pros can maintain all day.

Wherever you’re at right now, remember that heart rate changes are relatively quick, and then they stop. The good news is that speed can improve for years. As your future speed develops, your threshold speed today will eventually be easy and well below a threshold pace.

Participant
    Eric T on #39253

Thanks for the reply. My easy pace 2 years ago was around a 9:15/mile, after injuries and surgeries, it is around a 10:50 so I know all to well that my pace will quicken.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.