Fasted training

• Creator
    Topic
    Raja
    Participant

I’ve been a big fan of fasted training ever since I learned about it years ago on UA (https://uphillathlete.com/nutrition/tips-for-fasted-training/). I’ve been doing all of my runs in the morning before consuming anything besides water. It’s felt great and I recover well also.

Question I have is whether there are any workouts I should specifically do in a non-fasted state? I’m looking at Cham Fit, Hike in Hilly Terrain, Zone 3 intervals, etc.

• Participant
    Saadia Sharjeel on #71174

I do my running, hiking in a fasted state first thing in the morning consuming only water. But I do strength training sessions 2 to 3 hours after breakfast. This is the way I feel like doing it.

Saadia

Participant
    Cory from Wisconsin on #71175

I feel like I’ve seen guidance from the coaches that Z1/2 fasted is fine, but they recommend fueling for strength and Z3 work.

If I have a morning Z2 workout I usually do it fasted with a cup of black coffee, but always eat something before CMF or any weighted carry’s or strength sessions. If my schedule permits I’ll usually do z2 when I wake up, but move the others later in the day since they are not fasted.

Participant
    Jeremy on #71194

I think there can be benefits to fasted and not fasted and trade offs with each. Depends on what your goal is and what state you are in.

I did fasted for a while but then noticed id run out of gas after a few hours.

Jeremy

Participant
    lapotka on #71213

I do all my shorter Z1 or 2 workouts in the morning before work fasted, I don’t have time to eat and let food settle and work out and get the kids to school and get to work on time so this works for me. I try to fuel up for any interval work or sprint or strength workouts and I plan longer workouts (over 90 min or so) for after work or on the weekend and eat something before and fuel during a run or hike over 90 min. just my $2.

Participant
    Moiez K on #71228

I also do my Z1/Z2 runs fasted in the morning (after eating only breakfast and lunch the previous day) and it has worked well for me so far. I tried to do strength training fasted but prefer a meal about 2-3 hours before.

I BELIEVE any workout done after about 4-5 hours of not eating anything is considered a fasted workout; one doesn’t have to do the fast overnight.

Participant
    Raja on #71245

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! Very helpful to hear your perspectives.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #71264

Raja,
    Shorter z1/2 workouts can certainly be fasted IMO. Longer Z1/2 efforts can be but you want to progress this over time and realize you may well be compromising the rate of your recovery. I don’t think its always worth it.
    I would not bother fasting Chamfit and would certainly not fast for any Z3 of higher intensity but particularity and muscular endurance type heavy work. Always fuel for these.

Participant
    Raja on #71276

Thanks Mark. Appreciate your notes here!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.