Aerobic treshold sweet spot | Uphill Athlete

Aerobic treshold sweet spot

• Creator
    Topic
    KBZ
    Participant

Hi!
    This is bugging me for a long time 🙂 Does it actually make any significant difference at which side of eaerobic HR range I train?
    For example my aerobic treshold is 140-158. Does it make any difference if I train at 144, or 154 as long as I stay within the treshold?
    Is my training session any “better” when I try to stay around the top of my AT (~155)?

• Participant
    Mariner_9 on #57085

If you have ADS, train in Zone 2, if not then train in Zone 1.

Participant
    Shashi on #57100

Is my training session any “better” when I try to stay around the top of my AT (~155)?

The challenge at staying at the top of the range is you are more likely to slip into Z3 (go beyond AeT). Just target to stay middle of the Z2 range and you should be okay.

Participant
    KBZ on #57187

The challenge at staying at the top of the range is you are more likely to slip into Z3 (go beyond AeT). Just target to stay middle of the Z2 range and you should be okay.

Lets assume I can stay within AeT during the entire workout. Does it make any difference in training quality if I train at the lower range (144) of my Z2 or at the top of the range (154) ?
    Or maybe the final training result is the same as long as I stay within the Z2 during my training?

Participant
    floresrm on #57324

I think one question to ask is: what effect are you trying to have?

Increase speed?
    Increase aerobic capacity?

This is totally anecdotal, but I found I made the biggest leap in my AET when I spent 90% of my time training at the very top of Zone 1 with occasional forays into Zone 2.

At the time, I still had ADS and was focusing on increasing my AET.
    I felt I was close!!!

Training at the top of Z2 wasn’t really having a huge impact on my AET.
    I was getting faster (yay!), however the effort at top of Z2 was actually making me quite tired (boo).

So I spent most of the winter going even slower, staying mostly in Z1, was able to get even more hours in, and saw a huge jump in my AET (ADS cured!).

At top of Z1, I could schedule more big volume days back-to-back.

My guess is that volume is king.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.