Testing AeT using Heart Rate Drift test

• Creator
    Topic
    umanschi_bogdan
    Participant

Hello!

I read “The Uphill Athlete” twice, and practice since januarry the training method described there. I’ve been using MAF methode to calculate my AeT,and I notice improvements..a lot! But beeing stuck with the age algoritm, now I don’t know if my Aet remains the same.
    So, I have 2 questions related to Heart Rate Drift test, using a treadmill:
    1. In the description of the test it says:? If you have a good idea of what your AeT is, then target that heart rate for the beginning of the test. ? This means that I should target 141-143 bpm wich is my upper Z2 limit (extract from MAF formula) and only when I rich this value I should start the test? Or I should start when the hr is in the 137-140 limit?
    2.?Note the average heart rate for each half. Compare them to see if your average heart rate rose more than 5 percent.? This means that my AeT is the average hr of the both halfs of the test?…or?

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    Shashi on #40910

Hello,

Have you read this article?

Heart Rate Drift: A Functional Measure of Aerobic Fitness

I would just target 140 HR at the beginning of the test.

After 10-15 minutes of warm-up, if your HR is 140, you can start the test. If in the next one hour your heart rate drift is less than 5%, then your AeT is 140.

If the heart rate drift is more than 5%, then redo the test with a lower target HR of say 130.
    After a couple of tests, you should have an estimate of your AeT.

I am assuming you are using a chest strap to track HR.

I hope this is helpful.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #40950

Thanks, Shashi!

Participant
    umanschi_bogdan on #40966

Thank you very much!

Yes, I use a chest strap 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.