Starting ME and progression

• Creator
    Topic
    juskojj
    Participant

I’m going on a family vacation to CO this july and plan on getting out to do a backpack trip myself while there so I’m thinking of starting ME to get my legs in better shape.

i have a bad back with bulging discs, blah blah blah. i’ve been doing a back strengthening program (core) by a guy name eric wong for the last several months and it’s been helping a lot and my core is WAY stronger than it ever has been along with a bunch of other muscles ect.. along with general strength training when i can get it in.

i also run 3 x a week 50-60 minutes a time in zone 2 (haven’t reached my 10% yet)

i know the ME starts at 4 sets of 10 but should i start with 2 sets or do 4 sets of 5 reps and see how it goes? then increase to 4 sets the next week? i’m expecting to be sore but don’t want to be sore for an entire week…..

i’m also leary of the kettle bells swings and added weight with my back…. like i said my back is getting better but don’t want to push it…. but also want endurance for long hikes with lots of elevation gain. i’m planning on going to MT next year (hopefully) and putting in 20+ miles days over a 3-4 day trip.

• Participant
    Mariner_9 on #66949

Sorry to hear about your back. My partner has a similar issue so I know how debilitating it can be.

On your ME question: sounds like you’re planning to do gym-based ME workouts. The comments from Seth on this thread might be relevant: https://uphillathlete.com/forums/topic/what-to-do-when-recovering-from-me-workouts/#post-66484

Participant
    LindsayTroy on #66980

It seems like you know your body well, easing into it to prevent injury and skipping or replacing exercises that you expect to cause pain makes sense! These are general programs, adapting them to your specific needs is part of the process of being self coached

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.