Start of new training plan: how to calibrate the 1st week volume?

• Creator
    Topic
    GregW
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m a big fan of the book(s) and have had great success this past few months implementing the training philosophy of Uphill Athlete. One question that I haven’t been able to find the answer to in the book nor in the forum is how to calibrate the volume of the first week when you are starting a new program (for example after achieving a race/goal or at the start of the season)? How do I know what volume to start at? Progressing 5%-10% is easy enough but I always feel like I’m not sure what’s reasonable for a first week. I just finished a 30K, took a few days of rest and I feel fresh. Should I return to the same volume as the peak week of training? I don’t want to rush it but I don’t to start too far down again.

Thank you in advance!
    Greg

• Participant
    hafjell on #78475

The latest podcast from UA will help. I don’t recall them giving a specific answer to this, but they do talk in detail about volume, hours vs. miles, transitioning from sports and seasons. It’s one of the most practical episodes, imo.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/trail-running-series-base-training-to-course-specialization/id1523174465?i=1000613975623

And, with no coaching experience, I would posit that you’re capable of handling a 30k week once recovered from your race. Might give it a few days more to make sure you’re legs are with your brain… 10% increases will compound up quickly from there. Otherwise, some approximation slightly below your biggest week before the race. My .02 cents.

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #78482

Greg, glad to hear you’ve had such success in implementing the UA philosophy!

As Hafjell points out, 5%-10% increases add up quickly, so you could err on the side of caution and start at 75% of the peak week of your last training block. You’ll soon be back where you were and moving beyond it, and you’ll be doing so on a stronger foundation of recovery.

One other note: the older you are, the more weight you want to give to recovery.

Participant
    GregW on #78483

Hello,
    Thank you to both of your for your helpful replies. Sounds like a good rule of thumb: 75% of peak week! Especially since I’m in no rush.

I tend to aim closer to 5% of progress because I’m in no rush and – since I’m always travelling – I can have quite a bit of variability in elevation from week to week.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.