Ski Mountaineering vs SkiMo?

• Creator
    Topic
    Chet
    Participant

Scott/Steve…do you make a distinction between SkiMo and Ski Mountaineering? Your 16 week SkiMo plan pictures a lycra clad racer …what differences in training are important for say planning a several hour fast as you can sustain SkiMo RACE vs a week long trip to a Canada Hut where six days in a row of 5000+ feet of vertical and 7,8,9 hour days every day at an obviously lower intensity would be typical? thanks, Chet

Posted In: Ski Mountaineering

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #3505

I suspect that Scott and Steve will agree: A skimo race and a ski touring trip are very different events, and they favor training with a different emphasis.

To compare the events, up and down 5000′ feet is typical for a skimo race, and a decent time would be around two hours. During a race, the racer’s average HR would likely be between his/her aerobic and anaerobic thresholds.

In contrast, doing that same gain over 8 hours will be well below aerobic threshold, which allows that amount of gain to be done day after day, while still allowing for recovery.

I suspect that the general training difference would be additional emphasis on speed for a racer and a general emphasis on volume for the ski tourer. Both will need a lot of volume, but only the racer would need some speed work.

If the plan you purchased was for “skimo”, then I suspect that it was designed for racing.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #3515

Chet:
    Scott is right on about the plan for SKimo. It is meant for a high intensity race not for multi-day hut trips. I am in the process of making a a Ski touring Hut Trip training plan and hope to have it ready in a few weeks.

Scott Johnston

Participant
    teamweasel on #3577

I would be very keen on a ski mountaineering rather than skimo program, as I’m most interested in big days in the mountains (8ish hours of constant touring, climbing and skiing) for multiple days. I ski out of Australia, so our hills aren’t that big (but sometimes the walk to the snowline is). I compensate by doing lots of vertical, and have seen my fitness improve thanks to using the methods outlined in New Alpinism.

My other issue is finding a cycle that works for me – due to my job, I do 10 weeks at home, and then usually have 2-4 weeks where I can go ski mountaineering (either in Aus, NZ or Japan). My year is essentially 4 cycles like that, and in addition, in the southern winter I go out ski mountaineering every second weekend plus some other extended trips.

Can I achieve improvements in a 10 week cycle, or should I make it a 20 week cycle? I don’t have an objective in mind, but I just want to keep improving my fitness as my skiing ability and passion for skimo increases (I was more of a rock climber / ice climber in previous years).

I’ve got a good base level of mountain fitness, and I don’t see anyone else logging the vert I am in my local mountains. Looking forward to seeing the touring fitness plan, and loving the website!

Thanks,

Dan

Participant
    Cosmic Hillbilly on #4136

Hi, I trying to decide between the “hut to hut” and the “Ski Mo” training plan. I was going to go with the hut to hut plan then I read that the Ski-mo plan is recommended for “those with more time to prepare”. I do have time for a 16-week training plan. I am a middle-aged advanced skier that likes to skin up and ski down the local mountains (central Idaho). My goal is to get better at backcountry skiing (i.e., vertical feet) and hiking uphill. I do not plan to race. My question is, will the Ski Mo plan be “overkill” for me? Thank you! Swayne

Inactive
    Anonymous on #4157

Swayne;

The SkiMo training plan will probably suit you best. Fitness is fitness really and these programs mainly focus on your ability to go uphill well while doing so in an aerobic metabolic state. The SkiMo plan being longer allows for more time to develop the base and ends with a higher work load.

Hope this helps,
    Scott

Participant
    Cosmic Hillbilly on #4161

Perfect! I will go with the SkiMo plan.

Thank you!
    Swayne

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.