Recovery of Aerobic Capacity after COVID

• Creator
    Topic
    Jon44
    Participant

I had a case of COVID last April/May (2022) and feel like my body is just getting back to normal in terms of time it takes to recover from workouts. I had nothing else unusual (the COVID was severe enough that I couldn’t eat for 3 days and there were 1 or 2 episodes of extreme (“I’m about to pass out”) nausea/discomfort–but that sounds fairly typical).
    Just curious if anyone else experienced this.

(And I’m asking here because it’s easy to imagine that if this was a real phenomenon, no one would have bothered to study it yet and it might not be picked up by the general, non-athletic, population.)

• Participant
    Al B on #74891

There’s a guy named Howard Luks on Twitter who writes/posts regularly. He’s a surgeon/Zone 2 guy who has been posting about his Covid recover for a couple of months. You might have to dig through his twitter history but, FWIW, I’ve found some of his posts helpful.

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #74905

Hi Jon44,

Have you looked through our Covid 19 & Sports Med forum? You might find some similar experiences reported there. Also, if you want to repost your question there, Dr. Thomas Summer monitors that forum.

Jane

Participant
    Jon44 on #74932

Will do (let me know if deleting the post here makes sense)…

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #74979

Since there’s a reply, you can leave this post here. People will see that the discussion has shifted to the other forum.

Participant
    Rachel Nutting on #75194

Hi!
    For what it’s worth, I practice cardiology and we see patients all the time who have noticed changes in exercise tolerance/stamina as well as some autonomic dysfunction after Covid. I know there’s various theories regarding root cause and research being done to determine best practices with treatment. Most people do improve over time.
    Best of luck!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.