Pull Ups for noodle arms

• Creator
    Topic
    j.newstead
    Participant

Hi
    I am sure at some point read a training article here about how to start doing pull ups
    It was really encouraging, as “less was more” to get started. I am sure it was by someone speaking about training junior cross country skiers
    I cannot for the life of me find it again- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• Participant
    Rachel on #15829

In TFtNA they write about how Sadie Bjornsen had noodle arms and then after training she could do weighted pull-ups. I couldn’t find a forum post about it though, but this thread has advice about how to get to a single pull-up:

Cannot do a pull-up

I can’t do a pull-up either, nor a chin-up (but I’m getting soooo close). I’m using resistance bands so I can do a full set assisted. It’s also a psychological boost to be able to do a full pull-up even if I’m being helped out by the band. I just started this routine so I can’t vouch yet that it works but I’m optimistic.

I’m pretty sure I’ve also read here about doing negatives — lowering yourself slowly from the pull-up bar after getting into pull up position in anyway you can.

Participant
    j.newstead on #15831

Ah, yes maybe in TFtNA- you could well be right Rachelp! I will go check that.
    I am still to try, thanks for your help and good luck with the training!

Participant
    allan.xperia on #15834

I use a program from http://www.50pullups.com/

They have programs based on current ability, right from 0 pullups to more than 40 pullups. Each program takes two weeks, after which you do a new test and either advance to the next program or go back and start over on your current program.

I started two months ago a bit over my level at the program for people who can currently do 6-8 pullups. Probably not very wise, but in the programs below that I would have to only do negatives which I was too proud to accept.

In the last session of my first two week round, I was supposed to do 5 sets with 4, 5, 4, 4 and 6 pullups. I only managed 4, 4, 2, 1 and 1 pullups. And I was resting on the floor between each pullup for a second or two.

Today, I did the last session of my current two week round. Still at the same 6-8 program, and still supposed to do 4, 5, 4, 4 and 6 pullups. I managed 4, 5, 4, 4 and 5. And in each set, I was fully hanging from the bar without resting on the floor between each pullup.

I have no idea how optimal these training programs are, compared to others. But they seem to work for me, albeit slowly. I could probably have had even faster progress if I had thrown away my proudness and started with one of the lower programs, doing negatives. Anyway, at an age of 51, without ever doing pullups earlier in my life, I am pretty satisfied.

Participant
    NandaDevi on #17648

What’s a good way to warm up for max strength pull ups if you don’t have access to an assisted pull up machine or a row machine? I’m asking because I recently installed a pull up bar in my garage.

Participant
    Rachel on #17799

I warm up with resistance band pullups and also with my TRX by doing rows. You could use rings or even webbing to do rows.

Participant
    NandaDevi on #17990

Thank you, rachelp!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.