My new testing lab

• Creator
    Topic
    stephensmith
    Participant

Nearing the end of my PhD, I’ve set up my own exercise physiology lab! Whilst the lab was primarily built to inform my nutrition and coaching work, athletes who want to be tested without coaching are also welcome.

Having conducted hundreds of physiology tests throughout my MSc and PhD, I really enjoyed the process and wanted to continue working with and coaching athletes. Over that time I’ve worked with some world-champion motorsport and downhill athletes, cyclists and triathletes, and just worked with the winners of the 2019 Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Rowing Race.

I’ve been in correspondence with Scott, who has welcomed the idea of my lab being Uphill Athlete ‘approved’.

I offer a range of tests including resting metabolic rate, aerobic and anaerobic thresholds, fatmax, sweat sodium loss and body composition. I can also offer blood profiling for hormone and nutrient deficiencies.

Based in Wirral, in the UK. I’m sure I can arrange a discount for UA members!

For more details: http://www.racefaster.co.uk/

Thank you!

• Participant
    stephensmith on #37697

Slightly bad example, but I’ve seen another study in runners ( VO2peak of 50.53 ± 8.45 ml/kg/min). Still not very well trained in terms of runners really, but again a high correlation r2=0.87.
    I’ve also seen this in my own tests, but again the athletes wouldn’t be classed as elite – perhaps that would be a good study, something I could even do in my own lab i.e. look at how fatmax differs to aerobic threshold in trained vs trained athletes.

Participant
    stephensmith on #37698

I would recommend 145 – from experience, 164 sounds quite high for a fatmax threshold.

Leave it with me, I will dive into the data I have from other athletes and explain my findings in a post.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.