Muscular endurance or running out of glycogen?

• Creator
    Topic
    llaurent2006
    Participant

Hello,
    During trail race I’m able to climb at c. 900m/hr in Z2 for the first 3000m (say 6hr) but them my climbing speed start decreasing to c. 500/600m/hr. I feel lacking energy on the uphill but my HR is in Z1. However, I feel fine and sometimes strong on the flat and downhill. Is it likely a ME issue or fueling issue (I fuel c. 20-30g of carb/hr)? How can I tell? Thank you

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #80701

Hi llaurent2006, what is your fuelling and hydration strategy during the race? How frequently do you fuel and hydrate and what do you use?

Jane

Participant
    llaurent2006 on #80707

I use a combination of hydraminov powder (which include carb & electrolytes) diluted in 500ml water and gels taking about 30-40g of carb per hour &!drinking c. 500ml of water /hr

Participant
    llaurent2006 on #80708

Hi Jane,

I use a combination of hydraminov powder (which include carb & electrolytes) diluted in 500ml water and gels taking about 30-40g of carb per hour &!drinking c. 500ml of water /hr. thank you Laurent

Participant
    ChristianB on #80845

30-40g in total? If so, my guess is that you are running out of glycogen. Try double or tripple the amount of carbs pr hour, and you will most likely see huge improvement. Last race I did (40k, 3300 m of elev gain, 5hr 30min), I consumed 95g pr hour, and still lost climbing speed last climb, not being able to push up in Z3 HR.
    How much carbs you are able to tolerate, is highly trainable. 2-3 yr ago I could only do 40-50g pr hour, now I can do up to 110g. And it makes a huge, huge difference. Night and day difference. Both in preformance and recovery.

Sorry for the bad english.

Participant
    llaurent2006 on #80852

Thank you Christian. That’s very helpful! I’m going to focus on eating more & training for it. L ?

Participant
    llaurent2006 on #80853

Thank you Christian. That’s very helpful! I’m going to focus on eating more & training for it. L ?

Participant
    ChristianB on #80950

L? As in liters of hydration? In 5hr 30 min I had 1l of Maurten 320, 1,5l of Tailwind, 1l of water. So 0,6l pr hr. I had 9 Maurten 100 gels. No problems with GI

Participant
    sgw on #81021

Kind of coincidence to find this thread.

I also under-fueled my first (solo) 50k and bonked heavily.
    Had mis-calculated my carb intake and only ate about 1 gel (Maurten 100, Spring Energy) per hr. So I hit a wall at around 36k in. I never had such cramps before, for a while I couldn’t even walk slowly. Took a rest in the shadow, ate, drank, waited …

The last 15k distance/500m vert I could only hike. Running wasn’t even a wish anymore. Just getting it done.

Now I looked up things again and found that I maybe only consumed around 50% or less of the needed carbs.

On next saturday I have my 2nd 50, now supported. So there will be aid stations = carbs! 😉 I plan to take plenty of gels with me (Maurten 160 gels), set a eat/drink reminder on my watch and get fueling right from the start. We’ll see if I will be able to tolerate the increased input.

Participant
    llaurent2006 on #81039

Very helpful! thx

Participant
    llaurent2006 on #81040

Hello,

Thank you for sharing and please let me know how it goes. Super interested in your experience. I’m doing the Diagonale des Fous in 1 month and working on training my stomach. Does anyone have experience with gut training? Do we need very long hike/run or can it works with 2hr run for example? thx Laurent

Participant
    lucapontarolo on #81075

That’s very interesting.
    How did you train in order to reach such high levels of carbo fuel?
    Thank you.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.