Measuring AeT with Heart Rate Drift Method

• Creator
    Topic
    madanyang
    Participant

Hi,

First of all thanks for updating the 24 month plan with the Heart Rate Drift Method of AeT calculation.

Today I have done the test and I have some questions on the results. I used the 10% inclined treadmill version of the test with a speed and a heart rate I though would be my AeT.

1) The drift difference was %0.98 so my understanding is I can still push the AeT heart rate till the 5% mark. Am I right in my understanding and need to do the test again ?

2) When I uploaded the test data to TP; I have the min, average and maximum heart rate values for the test time. Assuming I get the intended drift change as in the above question, do I enter the maximum or the average heart rate as the top of my AeT heart rate in to TP.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #10993

Since GPS will not work indoors the PACE part of the Pa:Hr will not be accurate. Hence the specific instruction to NOT adjust speed or gradient once you start the test. This way you know the the pace stays constant and all you nee to look at is how much the HR drifts upward. I typically analyze it this way.

Using your cursor select the first half of the post warm up test by clicking and dragging the cursor over that section. You will see the average HR for the first half of the test displayed to the right (may need to scroll down). The repeat this process for the second half of the test. Divide the second half average HR by the first half average HR to see the % drift. For example: 1st 1/2 avg HR= 148. 2nd 1/2 avg HR=156. 156/148= 1.054. Or a drift of 5.4%.

If you did this or something similar and got 1% then you were well within your aerobic threshold at your initial HR.

Scott

Participant
    madanyang on #10998

I have used a stride length sensor so I guess that’s why the TP calculated the Pa:Hr automatically. From your answer I understand that the average HR of the second half is what I will be inputting to TP Zone 2 as the top AeT, provided the HR drift is under 5%.

But what is not still clear to me; is should I push it to find a point where HR drift is just below %5 so that would be a more realistic upper limit for my AeT.

Thanks

Inactive
    Anonymous on #11031

If drift is less than 5% use the initial HR you start the test at for your AeT estimation. Not the avg HR of the second half. If drift is under 5% they won’t be far off but you are starting the test at what you think is your AeT and then seeing how much HR drifts up.

As with any response to training, AeT will vary from day to day depending on recovery state so so trying to dial it in to within 1-2% is false precision since it might vary +/-10% from day to day. Do this AeT test rested so you should be finding optimal but do not be surprised that on some days that on some days AeT feels like an easy pace and other days it may feel hard. Pay attention to who you feel and use the numbers to help guide you. We are complex organisms and 150bpm one day will not be the same 150 on all other days.

Scott

Participant
    kfj on #15535

Hi Scott,

First of all THANK YOU for being a great source of knowledge.

In above reply you write “If drift is less than 5% use the initial HR you start the test at for your AeT estimation.”. Should the ‘initial HR’ be the average of the first half or the HR at beginning of the first half?

Thanks in advance

Participant
    kfj on #15551

Sorry, my bad. Initial is initial and not the average. Got it. Tried to delete above post.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.