Learning to trust the drift test

• Creator
    Topic
    danspam
    Participant

Fellow trainees,

I’ve been trying to nail down my AeT for uphill hiking (my primary activity) and indoor cycling (secondary/backup/alternate activity).

I’ve been ramping up level of effort (slope/speed on treadmill, targeted power output on exercise bike) and looking for cardiac drift. What I think I’m finding is that in order to achieve cardiac drift of ~5+% on a one hour effort, I’m putting out an effort that violates all of the subjective measures of being within AeT (breathing intensity, perceived effort, indefinite endurance). If I achieve a small cardiac drift, I’m usually completely spent at the end of the hour test, I’m definitely not able to nose breathe, and my heart rate is typically 80-85% of what I think my max heart rate is.

I think from my reading that Cardiac Drift should be a more reliable measure than the subjective metrics, but I thought I’d ask here. Do someone people just not cardiac drift until further over Aerobic Threshold?

I am not a well trained athlete – I am new to endurance training.

I have significant data that I can post, just not sure what would be helpful yet.

• Participant
    danspam on #45770

Thank you! I will use this to guide my training for a few months and report back.

Viewing 31 replies (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.