Insane AeT? Unsure how to read these results

• Creator
    Topic
    flavo9
    Participant

So this morning I created a Training Peaks account and did the AeT DIY test of running for 60 mins outdoors at a fixed heart rate. I chose 140bpm and when I uploaded the workout had a Pa:HR of 1.00%, thought fair enough will try again tomorrow with a higher bpm.

Then I uploaded a fun run I did on the weekend, 14.6km, 181 avg bpm over 64 minutes, and the Pa:HR was 2.38%.

According to the guide on how to conduct the AeT test this would indicate that my AeT is above 181bpm… lol.

Would appreciate any insights into how this statistic works and if these results are reliable at all.

A caveat is the run this morning I had a chest monitor, the fun run I was just using the wrist monitor on my Fenix 5, that’s the only explanation I can think of to how these results make sense.

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #85701

flav09, you’re right that the results from the wrist monitor are not going to be accurate. The other possible factor is the nature of the terrain. The HR drift test must be done on essentially level ground or very gently rolling terrain — as with any test, controlled conditions are necessary to get an accurate result.

One tip: it’s best to wait 2-3 days between tests because it’s fatiguing enough that you’re unlikely to get accurate results if you repeat it sooner than that. You want to be fairly fresh when you do it.

Jane

Participant
    flavo9 on #85702

Hey Jane, thanks for the response,

I had another look at the analysis of the fun run, and essentially the back 75-80% I had a negative Pa:HR. I found this means downhill running, which makes a lot of sense and a reason I shouldn’t look to that for an accurate result.

I’ll take your advice and wait a few days to do the test again.

A parting question, if my Pa:HR was 1% at 140bpm, is it worth bumping up to 150, or is it always recommended to bump up 5 each test.

Thanks again for the response!

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #85703

Downhill’s definitely not going to give you an accurate result 😉

If it were me, I would bump to 145 for the re-test. Then if you get close enough, you can estimate the AeT: e.g. 2% drift at 145 — you could take 147 as your AeT. This isn’t an exact science and our physiology changes from day to day; the main purpose of the AeT is to make sure we’re not training too hard when we don’t want that intensity.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.