Huge gap between AeT and LT

• Creator
    Topic
    harisonpitchford
    Participant

Hello! I’m a 32 year old lowlander (Kansas City native) with about a year of consistent structured training under my belt. I have a history of intermittent endurance training prior to this year (1 year on, 6 months off, 9 months on … that kind of thing) and have completed a number of trail marathon and 50K races in the last 3 years.

After reading through my Running Bible (aka Training for the Uphill Athlete) I’ve gotten serious about tracking my AeT and LT heart rates to dial in Z2 and interval / high intensity distribution, and evaluate overall aerobic fitness. For the last year I’ve done about 95% of my workouts in Z2, and I typically log 40ish miles per week.

After completing 3 AeT tests I’ve determined my AeT is 151 BPM (with a 4.4% cardiac drift). My average pace at that HR is about 8:30/mile, for context. Today I ran a 30-minute DIY LT test and averaged about 180 BPM (average pace during the test was about 6:45/mile). The highest HR I’ve tracked in any run over the last year is 188 BPM. All these readings come from a Polar H10 HR strap.

My LT HR seems to be really high, and this makes it difficult to imagine I’ll be able to bring my AeT up to within 10% of my LT.

I’m looking for advice about how to interpret this data and adjust my training schedule. Does it still make sense to follow the 10% rule if my AeT and LT are almost 20% different?

I’m excited to hear your thoughts!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #84343

Hi Harison,

Sorry for the delay. Coach Pedro Carvalho offers this reply to your question:
    No , you should not use the 10% difference. You will need to work more on zones 3 and 4. You have a good aerobic base , but at an anaerobic level your heart rate is going too high, because your system is not trained at that level, and heart rate goes higher in order to compensate for that lack of adaptation.

I hope this helps. Let us know.
    Jane

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.