HRM Threshold Testing – Do you trust it?

• Creator
    Topic
    Shep
    Participant

Most of the current generation of GPS Heart Rate Monitors offer threshold estimation for many things… Heart Rate, Running Pace, Cycling Power, etc… Personally, I use a Fenix 3 and Edge 820, and have relied on their ability to estimate lactate/aerobic threshold in setting my HR Zones. Do people feel that the threshold estimates provided by this category of devices are high quality?

My understanding is that the method, from most-to-least accurate for setting personal zones, are:
    Lactate/Aerobic Threshold
    Heart Rate Reserve
    Measured Max Heart Rate
    220-Age (Male)

Thanks,
    Shep

• Participant
    alexgauthier on #3444

I find that much of the data generated by my watch (also a Fenix 3) seems to be in the right ballpark. I still do my own testing separately to find AeT and AnT. The one thing I noted that DID seem to be of help that my Fenix looks at is how recovered I am. I notice that it lines up fairly well with how I actually feel. My understanding is that they calculate recovery based on HR variability. Incidentally, my own AeT and AnT line up pretty well with the Calculation you list as last in terms of accuracy.

I don’t really use HR zones so much and I basically shape all my cardio around AeT and AnT. With those data points, everything else just kind of falls into place for me without fussing with HR Zones.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #3450

Shep:
    I recommend that you find as accurately as possible your own AeT and AnT. A lab can do this for you or you can use the tests we supply in the Resources under Training Practice. Knowing these 2 metabolic markers will greatly inform how you set up your training intensity zones.

Scott

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.