Heart rate drift test on hill?

• Creator
    Topic
    tom.1990
    Participant

Hey team,

I did a lactate meter test and found my aet to be around 160 and ant around 173 (30y/o male with a few years of trail ultra running under my belt). I usually keep my aerobic runs to sub 144, and this heart rate up to 160 feels quite easy/moderate on uphills and I can keep churning the miles out, however on the flats this heart rate feels quite hard and my mind is telling me to quit. 150 heart rate on flats is about 4:30min/km. Is this just an efficiency thing? More efficient at running hills then flats?

Do I need to be running the flats slower, as my flat running aet would be lower then my hill running? Is there a way to do a HR drift test on a hill to determine my hill aet or will need to do another lactate meter test?

Thanks ?

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    Dada on #47793

Following

Participant
    tom.1990 on #47794

I figured I’d just do a flat heart rate drift test.

Average heart rate: 147
    Average pace: 5.08 min/km
    PA:HR: +0.1%

This felt hard on my legs, not really use to running around a flat track. Where as I feel that this heart rate on a hill is quite easy/moderate.

But I’m guessing my aet is going to be a bit higher than 150 based on the <5%?

Participant
    Izzy on #47960

Based on that drift test, it’s a good guess that your AeT is a in the mid-to-high 150s. The leg fatigue points to muscular strength being your performance limiter – at least on the track. If you haven’t already, I’d strongly recommend starting the gym based Muscular Endurance routine. It will allow you continue that continuous muscular output which you metabolically appear able to sustain.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #48044

I would use the same AeT for all weight-bearing sports.

I agree with Izzy that your leg fatigue is due to low strength endurance. It’s quite common for mountain athletes that are strong going uphill (which has no impact), but get beat up running due to the pounding. It happens to the best of them.

I would do two things: add some ME work as Izzy described and run slower in the flats for general training.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.