General Training Plan for Beginner?

• Creator
    Topic
    Brian.furciniti
    Participant

Hey all,

I just finished reading TftNA and I’m excited to jump into my first structured training program. I’m a long time climber who has largely ignored my aerobic base, so I know I’ll need to ease into it with a good transition period (I estimate about 2.5 hours a week based on the TftNA guidelines). I don’t have any specific climbing objectives, but most of my time is spent in the Sierras where I get my butt kicked by long approaches and big days.

Is there a training plan on Uphill Athlete that follows the TftNA structure for a beginner like me? I noticed that even the 24 week Expeditionary Mountaineering plan starts the transition period with 7-8 hours of weekly activity, which far exceeds my estimated 2.5 hours. I’ve started my transition period using the guidelines in the book, but am trying to figure out if there is a pre-made plan that would fit my needs.

Thanks!

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #20803

Brian:

Thanks for writing in with your question. Something to keep in mind is that the suggested weekly volume used in TftNA book is for the aerobic training only, not the strength training. That’s because the aerobic training will progress weekly in volume since volume or duration are the biggest stimulus to improving aerobic capacity. Whereas the strength training volume will not change much week to week.

The 24 week expeditionary plan will still be the best plan for you now and in the future. It is the one that most closely follows the books structure. It has the longest transition period and it will serve you very well manny time over. If you are going buy one plan I recommend to get one that you can use over and over again. In your case start out by following the structure of the plan but at reduced hours.

Scott

Participant
    Brian.furciniti on #20838

Thanks Scott! That makes a lot of sense – it’s good to hear that these plans can be repeated over and over again. My goal for this year is to take the leap into a structured training regimen and build baseline fitness, then next year start targeting more concrete objectives. Appreciate the quick response!

Participant
    mavppe on #20926

Does this fit here? Recategorize if necessary. I am emailing this as well. Thanks, Mark

I completed your 24 week plan in February and muddled my way through the last few weeks~why because I watched the awesome Sam Naney video on ME stuff and found out stairs with weight was a lot more effective than a trail.
    A1. Is the gym ME workout “good enough” for a guy with limited access to stairs and steep terrain?
    Since completing the plan I have been ski touring almost weekly up until April the 5th and since that time I have been doing one mini max per week with a few trail runs no more than 2 hours and no less than 1.
    1. A note: I was discouraged at my lack of performance recently above 8k feet (I live at sea level) in Wyoming. I can barely skin at 2 mph with any elevation. I did however discover how much my body needs carbohydrates and sugar. Holy.. I was attempting to tour fasted and dig deep holes in the snow and … it didnt work. I have taken the advice of approximately 200 grams per day. While my once awesome uphill athlete created abs are diminishing my performance has seen immediate gains.
    2. At this point do I tee up the 24 week plan again and add 10% to durations as (I think) you suggest? Can you guys build me ^^^that plan with duration adjustments added to save me the time?
    3. How do I have you review my training peaks data before a phone call I am setting up? Taking time off of the call to review the data is fine with me.
    LMK thanks, Mark

Inactive
    Anonymous on #21132

Mark:

I want to share my email response with forum users.

I completed your 24 week plan in February and muddled my way through the last few weeks~why because I watched the awesome Sam Naney video on ME stuff and found out stairs with weight was a lot more effective than a trail. Yes, you need steep to make those weighed carry ME workouts effective.

A1. Is the gym ME workout “good enough” for a guy with limited access to stairs and steep terrain? Yes, it can be substituted for weighted carries.

Since completing the plan I have been ski touring almost weekly up until April the 5th and since that time I have been doing one mini max per week with a few trail runs with slight elevation gain/loss <2k lasting no more than 2 hours and no less than 1. This seems like a good maintenance schedule and good way to transition into the running season.

A note: I was discouraged at my lack of performance recently above 8k feet (I live at sea level) in Wyoming. I can barely skin at 2 mph with any elevation. You’d probably have suffered a lot more if your fitness was worse. Living at sea level is always going to make short trips to altitude very challenging. Your slowness was not related to fitness. It was due to lack of acclimatization.

I did however discover how much my body needs carbohydrates and sugar. Holy.. I was attempting to tour fasted and dig deep holes in the snow and … it didnt work. Train on fats but race on carbs is our mantra. So it’s fine to fasted workouts but when performance counts you need carbs on board.

I have taken the advice of approximately 200 grams per day. While my once awesome uphill athlete created abs are diminishing my performance has seen immediate gains.

At this point do I tee up the 24 week plan again and add 10% to durations as (I think) you suggest? If you were able to complete the existing plan with no problem and you are relatively new to this sort of training I think you can bump the volume of aerobic work 20% Can you guys build me ^^^that plan with duration adjustments added to save me the time? We’ve never done that because its so easy for you to do.

How do I have you review my training peaks data before a phone call I am setting up? When you email us asking for a phone consult I will email you a link allowing you to share your TP account with us. Then I can take a look before we talk.Taking time off of the call to review the data is fine with me.

Scott

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.