General Strength Workout Question

• Creator
    Topic
    zackarylacy
    Participant

I just bought the 16 week mountaineering training plan and am slightly confused at the description of the strength workout (first one on day 2 of this plan)

It says do 12 reps of a suitable weight/assistance, then it says do 10 reps after that.

So, is the workout doing 1 set at 12 reps and 1 set at 10 reps for the strength portion? It doesn’t seem too difficult but also am wondering if it is simply starting easy because its the first week.

If anyone has done this plan and has some insight into this, it would be appreciated. Thanks

• Participant
    John H on #59429

I haven’t done that plan, but am doing a plan I constructed from TFNA and think I have a grasp of the concepts.

I believe it’s telling you to do 10 reps of a weight that you could do 12 reps of. According to the UA folks, lifting until failure will stimulate muscle growth, which you theoretically want to avoid because you want to maximize your strength-to-weight ratio.

As someone approaching his late-30s, I am personally not trying to avoid muscle growth because I know it’s all downhill from here in terms of my body’s ability to build muscle. But that’s another discussion.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #59577

Zachary:

What the plan says it to find a weight that allows you to to do 12 reps at failure and then use that weight for the sets of 10 reps.

I hope this helps.
    Scott

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.