Can high lactate cause a high glucose reading?

• Creator
    Topic

Google is not being my friend in trying to get an answer to what I thought was a possibly simple question. All I get are medical articles for which I do not have the education to interpret. It was my understanding that blood sugar levels are supposedly reduced by exercise. However, I have noticed that mine increases, especially if I have I have gone so far as to achieve “runners high” (usually though using a push mower on a steep yard.) I have recently read about mitochondrial saturation causing an increase in blood lactate levels and I am simply wondering if elevated lactate levels can be erroneously read as elevated glucose by inexpensive “no coding” blood glucose meters. Thank you in advance for anyone that provide and insight.

Eric

• Participant
    Michaeltyoung on #44647

Exercise stimulates the liver to release glycogen. In all likelihood, this is an accurate reading rather an erroneous reading.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44655

Do you have diabetes? I ask because most people do not check blood glucose levels. My wife has Type 1 diabetes. She trains A LOT and over the years we’ve noticed that her blood sugar increases especially during very long, demanding or intense workouts. She can see readings in the 400+ range and has to take insulin to lower it. Most of us have the ability to self regulate blood glucose levels through endogenous insulin production. Not so with diabetics.

Scott

Participant
    thatcrazyguy.downthestreet on #44659

I’m in the pre-diabetic range and have started monitoring my blood sugar just as a precaution. My girlfriend is type 2 and has been on metformin for 15 years. It’s just starting to give her issues but she has also been able to get her A1C under 6 within the past year. Everything hey doctor and nutritionist have told her is that exercise can help lower blood sugar but I haven’t seen that to be the case for me, especially when I’ve gotten myself close to exhaustion.

Participant
    Emil on #44661

Are you exrecising at a too high intensity (to get the runners high)? Not sure if you listened to this podcast, might be helpful

#85 – Iñigo San Millán, Ph.D.: Zone 2 Training and Metabolic Health

Participant
    thatcrazyguy.downthestreet on #44667

The runner’s high is not my goal but I have ended up hitting it a few times. When it comes to the treadmill I usually take about 5 to 8 minutes to get my legs warmed up before I top out between 3.5 to 3.8 mph for an hour.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.