Alternate Heart Rate Drift test (constant HR, varying speed) ?

• Creator
    Topic
    CLAZM
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m new to the forum, and am rereading both « Training for… » books (a lot to grasp when new to all of this).
    As many, and assuming I have ADS, I started my training with long runs and hikes at my MAF-calculated AeT of 125 bpm.
    But I would like to do a real AeT test and not rely on the « 180 – age » formula.
    I don’t have access to a treadmill and don’t have a fancy GPS / HR watch to record things for Training Peaks.
    What I do have, is a small Garmin hiking GPS (that’ll record speed and distance at intervals), a basic HRM (with chest strap), that displays real time Heart Rate (but doesn’t record it over time), and a nice horizontal running area that goes for miles (along a canal).
    The GPS isn’t precise enough in the speed measurement for me to use it to pace myself and run at a constant speed, but what I find pretty easy is to regulate my effort when running so that I’m within 2 or 3 BPMs of a given heart rate.
    With this, is it possible to do a kind of « reverse treadmill heart rate drift test » (where I’m keeping heart rate constant and varying speed) by running 1 hour at a constant heart rate, and divide distances covered during the first and second half hours ?
    If, say, I cover 3 km the first half hour and 2,85 km the second, is my heart rate drift 3 / 2,85 = 1,053 = 5 % ?
    Thanks for your help !
    Claude

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #45658

Claude;

YES!! for sure you can do the HR drift test this way. Sounds like you hit the AeT HR right this first time. It will improve and so will your pace. Keep up the good work.

Scott

Participant
    CLAZM on #45738

Thank you very much for your reply.
    Much appreciated

Participant
    juskojj on #45917

@scott

I just did this. I tried my best to keep my heart rate stable. According to my wahoo every mile I ran i had an average heart rate of 145 or 146, max 151 for the entire hour, so within 5%. My mileage for the 1st 30min was 2.32miles and the second half 2.28miles which is 1.8%, so do that mean I need to increase my heart rate and redo the test? Or is 145 my AeT?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.