[AeT Drift Test] Hard to dial in initial HR

• Creator
    Topic
    Dada
    Participant

Hi,

today, I did a drift test. I did a gradual warmup for 20min by increasing the slope of the treadmill to 6°/10% from minute 0 to 17 minutes. I adjusted the speed a little but I dialed in 4.5km/h. Then I had to do a bio break (where I stopped the recording). At 20 minutes, I started the actual AeT Drift Test.

I have in general problems in dialing in a constant HR. It jumps constantly. What would you guys say is my AeT?

Please find attached my data.

Thank you so much!

Dada

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Participant
    Dada on #31099

Maybe a hint: my last test was a lactate test and it indicated 153 bpm. That was in May.

Participant
    Rachel on #31107

It looks like the average for the first half is 162 and second half 168. Average of first three minutes is 155, and drift is 3.7%. Probably that 155 is a good number to use unless I did something wrong. If you have lap averages that would be easier to look at and a graph is helpful too.

Participant
    Dada on #31184

Hi Rachel,

Thx for your input!

I think the low heartrate at the beginning of the test (due to my break) is skewing the AeT a little bit. By feeling I would say that 155 is a little bit too low. I can’t really rely on nose breathing as a plausibility check.

BR
    Dada

Participant
    Dada on #31486

If it helps, you can find my activity here:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4217472752?share_unique_id=34

Inactive
    Anonymous on #31601

I think it’s worth setting up a free Training Peaks account to make this easier to analyze. Then you can look at sections of the sessions to get the average heart rate.

One thing to consider is that benchmark heart rates are never very precise. They can’t be. So don’t fixate on finding the exact bpm because it could be different from day to day. Intentionally underestimate your AeT HR to the closest five beats (round down).

I’m happy to take another look once it’s in Training Peaks.

Participant
    Dada on #31622

Hi Scott,

Thx for your input! Please find here the link to the activity on TP: See my 86 hrTSS run workout. I did 6,15 km in 1:20:16. #trainingpeaks
    http://tpks.ws/25J4YOQBYWTLFEWS2UKQDICQFU

I already accounted for the round-down right after the drift test (changed the zones in Garmin accordingly).

I just wanna know it more precisely due to the 10% spread between AeT and AnT.

Thx for looking into this.

BR
    Dada

Participant
    Dada on #31623

To see the link you gotta switch to desktop mode on your phone or look at it on a computer

Inactive
    Anonymous on #31693

Okay, thanks. That’s much easier.

1) Don’t worry about the fluctuations in heart rate. That’s normal. Heart rate is just a global measure of stress so your body will respond to the stress it’s experiencing. Second-to-second changes in heart rate aren’t meaningful for training, just the averages and general trends.

2) I think you’re safe to use ~160 as the upper limit for your AeT (i.e. top of Zone 2). The drift in the last hour was exactly 5%: (168 / 160).

3) Don’t fixate on small bpm changes. As I said above, they’re not meaningful. We don’t have a device that can measure what’s actually going on in your body, so we have to use proxy measurements like heart rate. They are rough guidelines, so you should assume that they are imprecise.

Participant
    Dada on #31719

Thank you so much!

So, just two more bpm and I will get rid of my ADS after 8 month of training 🙂

Just one question for the future: how did you come up with the 160?

BR
    Dada

Inactive
    Anonymous on #31721

Just one question for the future: how did you come up with the 160?

1. View the workout;
    2. Click and drag from the end of the workout (~1h25′) back to 55′. Note that the average HR is 168;
    3. Click and drag from 55′ back to 25′. Note that the average HR is 160;
    4. 168 / 160 = 1.05. So the drift at that speed on that grade is 5%, the limit for an aerobic capacity intensity.

Note that it is at the limit, so as Rachel said, training at 155 would work just as well. Plus you wouldn’t be cutting it so close.

Participant
    kfj on #34018

Hi Scott,

Following this thread and trying to figure the upper limit for my AeT.

Did a test the other day. Treadmill 10% grade and after 18min warm-up I started the test with HR at 168bpm (based on previous season/test).

The first 30min avg HR 173 and second 30min HR 176, a drift of 1,7%.

Link to WO on TP http://tpks.ws/RZFS5L3RDFE5GOLTRYLFWF2GAU

Based on above discussion and with a drift of 1,7% I guess the upper limit of my AeT is above 173? Would love to hear your thoughts and to have an educated guess

Thank you for a great resource.

Participant
    Dada on #34019

Hi kfj,

May I ask for your AnT? I just wanna make sure you are not running at your AnT instead of AeT.

Best regards
    Dada

Participant
    kfj on #34020

Hi Dada,
    my AnT is 183.
    Thanks-

Inactive
    Anonymous on #34087

It does look that way. How did you test your AnT?

Participant
    kfj on #34127

Hi,
    AnT was by lab/lactate test.
    Thanks-
    Fredrik

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.