Aerobic threshold and cross country skiing

• Creator
    Topic
    ajpartanen
    Participant

Hi

I’ve dabbed a bit to cross country skiing this winter. Cold winter makes running unpleasent so I thought that skiing would be nicer way to get aerobic training in.
    I did heart rate drift test and found out that AeT for skiing (classic) is 153. My running AeT is 144. Is that big difference between sports possible or have I just done my testing wrong?

• Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #84816

Hi ajpartanen,
    I ran your question by coach Pedro Carvalho. Here is his reply:

Most likely its not correct , but one of the reasons it can give differently and higher is because skiing is a sport without no impact, and your weight has not so much impact. To be sure, it would be a good idea to redo the test for skiing.

Another important thing to remember is that each sport has its specificity — i.e. we should only compare apples with apples, and not compare numbers from one sport with numbers from another sport.

Does that help?
    Jane

Participant
    ajpartanen on #84846

Thank you Jane.
    I Will do test avain. I was predicting that heart beat would be higher in skiing. It was just so much higher that I thought I had done something wrong.

Participant
    ajpartanen on #84847

Thank you Jane.
    I Will do test again. I was predicting that heart beat would be higher in skiing. It was just so much higher that I thought I had done something wrong.

Participant
    ajpartanen on #84951

I found one more reason for high aet. My heart rate monitor chest strap’s screws were loose. That caused my heart rate to be a bit higher in general.

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #84953

Good you figured that out!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.