1st Ultra: A huge success thanks to Training For The Uphill Athlete

• Creator
    Topic
    Ruck-Steady
    Participant

Hi guys! I ran my first ultra marathon on Saturday, The BLACKALL100 50k event here in sunny Queensland Australia!

I had hopes before the race of finishing under 5:30:00 which might have snuck me into the top 20 but thought it might be a bit of a pipe dream. I managed to complete the 50.1km course with 1600m elevation in 5:13:13 and picked up 9th place out of 415 starters! Couldn’t be happier with the result!

I started training last Christmas but saw little results for the first half of the year. I ordered Training For The Uphill Athlete and read it once but took very little from it. I did a Garmin half marathon training program (which was terrible for what I was trying to achieve) while I read the book again. The 2nd time through I picked up some things and I quit the Garmin program and started structuring my training (slowed it right down to start with!). Then I read it again and learned every chapter before moving on to the next. I now have a structured, periodised training plan that works for me. I’m also going through the book again and underlining and making notes around the key parts. And still, I’m learning from it.

Thanks so much for writing this book, it’s existence and my application of it has literally changed my life (the wife’s not as stoked!).

Next race is The Guzzler 50k in my home town of Brisbane with over 2000m vertical in 3 weeks. Can’t wait 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Participant
    sgw on #46060

50k and 2000m should be easy within 3 weeks 😛
    Nice work, motivating me as well!

Participant
    Ruck-Steady on #46077

Thanks very much! And good luck with your training!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #46132

Ian:

Congratulations on a great race. While our methods may have helped, you deserve the credit for being consistent with your training and putting it all together on race day. You were in a pretty tight cluster of finishers and I recon you were battling all the way to the finish line.

You have only scratched the surface of what you are capable of. Oh, maybe you should not tell you wife that part.

Thanks for writing in to us.
    Scott

Participant
    Ruck-Steady on #46145

Thanks for the words of encouragement Scott, it’s much appreciated 🙂

Participant
    Akashdeep Sharma on #46310

s

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘1st Ultra: A huge success thanks to Training For The Uphill Athlete’ is closed to new replies.