Short excursion to Z3 leaves my HR highly elevated

• Creator
    Topic
    Dada
    Participant

Hi guys,

I experienced that my HR keeps being elevated after short bursts of Z3.

A week ago, I did Z3 intervals in ski mountaineering (the slow version; 60min Z1 for warmup, 3 × 8min with 2min active rests). After the workout, I had to reach the peak and no chance to reach Z1 again, only upper parts of Z2 despite it felt very, very easy and even long conversations weren’t causing any breathing problems.

Yesterday, we had a casual weekend tour of ski mountaineering. Going up the hill in Z1 and some bursts into Z2. Then I had to stop for a couple of minutes and wanted to go to do a short excursion to Z3 to reach the pack again (around 8min). After that, my HR was again elevated and reaching Z1 again was impossible for the rest of the tour, just the middle and upper part of Z2 despite it felt very easy again.

– This is probably caused by cardiac drift, right?
    – Why is even the short excursion causing so much drift?
    – Should I do something about that?
    – If yes, what can I do?

Cheers
    Dada

• Participant
    miles on #50557

In my experience touring, it’s really easy to edge above a HR zone without feeling it, even while chatting and taking it “very easy” – I think the lack of impact on the uphill glide makes this so. Once I’m above the target zone, it’s hard to throttle back and find the right pace. I have to dramatically slow down, let my heart rate settle, then reacquaint myself with the desired pace to match my intended HR zone.

Perhaps over-simplifying it, but if the goal for the workout is to be in Z1 or Z2, you’ll have to slow down to achieve that. It’s also worth ensuring your goals match the groups for the day, if you’re aiming to do intervals while the others are going for a quick steady state tour, those could be hard to make compatible.

Just some thoughts.

Participant
    Dada on #50618

Hi Miles,

Thx for your reply!

100% agreement on the group compatibility.

What I mean, that one moment you are @ Z1, then that short sip from the Z3 bottle and afterwards the Z1 speed from before is now high Z2 even after breaks.

– This is probably caused by cardiac drift, right?
    – Why is even the short excursion causing so much drift?
    – Should I do something about that?
    – If yes, what can I do

Best regards
    Dada

Participant
    Dada on #50940

I think this article describes it very well: https://www.ptdirect.com/training-design/anatomy-and-physiology/acute-cardio-heart-responses-to-exercise

Is there a way to train faster and better recovery during workouts?

Best regards
    Dada

Inactive
    Anonymous on #52365

In my experience, an elevated HR is normal after higher-intensity work. As my fitness increases, the duration of the elevated HR after harder efforts decreases.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.