Recovery

• Creator
    Topic
    tfmullen.2
    Participant

Hi, I have a question about recovery, I have been training consistently for the last 4 months and increasing mileage. I’ve been mixing hiking and running all in the mountains. I am feeling tired and think I need to take 5 to 7 days off. Is this ok, and do you guys recommend a way to achieve a good recovery?

tom

• Participant
    tfmullen.2 on #41784

I should add I’ve been averaging 100 miles per month 6 to 10 mile runs with 4 to 5 mile hikes with 28 to 50 lbs. Average is 600 ft elevation gain on the runs and 1500 on the hikes. Its almost impossible to stop. Yesterday I went out to do a 6 mile run and I stopped 2 miles out and walked back that never happens but I wasn’t feeling it. Let me also say that I’ve been trail running for 7 years and I got the New Alpinism, great book, I’ve pushed harder than ever last 4 months.
    I have to say I’m ready to hit the trail right now.

Participant
    Shashi on #41790

Tom,

My training volume is lower than yours, but just an observation based on what I have read so far and the training plan I am following.

In the last four months, did you have a recovery week every 2-3 weeks?

If not, maybe this post might be helpful –

How to schedule the recovery week

Participant
    tfmullen.2 on #41792

No, I haven’t had a recovery week during the 4 months, but I appreciate the good information.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #41794

Hi Tom,

Shashi offers the best first step – stop and rest! Cycling through rest blocks (dropping volume 30-50% from a normal build week) is an easy way to buffer against long-term fatigue build-up every few weeks. When in the rest week you may feel initially that the fatigue is increasing, but often that is a result of the body shifting into an “adaptation” mode – taking the work you’ve put into it and working to compensate and get stronger for it.

Remember that training is the work that breaks you down, and recovery is the crucial follow-up which builds you back up stronger. One without the other does not an athlete make!

An easy guideline I offer athletes is to follow your motivation in regards to judging recovery: when you wake up in the morning are you psyched to get out and train? Or are you dragging feet to get out the door and feeling flat, both physically and mentally? There are times during build blocks where carrying fatigue is OK but if you’re facing a chronic lack of motivation, it’s time to rest and wait until you feel the stoke return. Your body and mind are pretty adept at guiding you, the trick for us all is to learn how to listen to them!

Good luck!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.