Is it okay to do all AeT workouts fasted? | Uphill Athlete

Is it okay to do all AeT workouts fasted?

• Creator
    Topic
    bsharon325
    Participant

I’ve been building up my running, and have reached a point where I’m running 6 days a week. Mostly out of habit, I run in the morning before eating breakfast. I feel fine during and after workouts, but have seen training advice in other books/articles that suggest doing some fasted training – but none of them seem to suggest doing it all fasted. Is there any problem with doing all of my AeT workouts in a fasted state? (I do eat a small snack before workouts that add intensity above AeT).

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #10252

If you are recovering between workouts and feeling adequate energy during these base aerobic runs then you are fine doing this. Top athletes I work with almost all their Z1-2 runs in a fasted state. If the runs get over 2-3 hours then you may need to carry and emergency snack of some sort. But, even those longer run will get easier to do in a fasted state as you adapt. To speed recover I suggest eating right after you finish. I notice that if I miss this feeding window after a long fasted run, I’ll feel that workout fatigue for as much as 48 hours where as if I eat immediately after I finish I’ll bounce back in a day.

Scott

Participant
    pezrosi on #47736

Hi Scott,

have a question on that eating immediately after exercise thing you mentioned.
    Does that intake have to be proportional to workout duration/total calory burn? In the book you mention to take in 100-200 calories (if i remember correctly) but do not distinguish more specifically between different workouts (durations). Any rule of thumb for this?

Thanks,

Peter

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.