Help interpreting HR drift

• Creator
    Topic
    Alex Basore
    Participant

I recently conducted a HR drift test and I’m hoping I have a valid test. I began with a 15-18ish minute warm up. I planned on 15, but increased my speed at about the 13-14 min marker because I didn’t think I was at a good starting point. From minute 14 until the end of the test I was at 15% grade and 2.5 mph, No adjustments were made after minute 14. I took the average heart rate between minute 14-18 and got a starting HR of 134ish. It looks like the 1st half (minute 18:30-47:00) I got an average of 141 and the second half (47:00-1:15:00) of 148. I know you want to aim for a 5% drift, but is it 5% of 134 so only 6-7 beats? If so, I think I am right on the cusp? Any information or interpretation would be greatly appreciated. I think I am an avid ADS sufferer and continue to exert myself well above AeT.

• Participant
    Alex Basore on #80754

Sorry I couldn’t get the workout to upload but I included a screenshot. Just ignore the laps, if I compare the 1st to 2nd half.

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #80760

Hi Alex,
    It looks like the screenshot didn’t upload either. Is the workout recorded in Training Peaks? If so, could you make it public and post the link here? That will allow us to look at the basic data. To make it public, tick the little box beside ‘Public’ at the bottom left of the summary screen, next to the social icons, then to get the link, click the paper clip icon to the right of the FB icon. You should be able to post that link here.
    If it’s not in TP and you are still unable to upload the screenshot, let me know and I’ll contact the webmaster.
    Jane

Participant
    Alex Basore on #80761

http://tpks.ws/IFRNBMHJ2C4KN5PBP7FPS2VXA4

I hope this finally makes it visible. Please let me know if it’s not there

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #80793

Hi Alex,
    That worked, thanks.

We can look at this a couple of ways.

1. The drift between 141 and 148 is 5%, in which case you could take 141 as your AeT.
    However, that’s fudging the test and could be overestimating your AeT.

2. Your HR never stablised so we don’t really know what your starting HR is. To get the most accurate result, you want your HR to stabilize for 2 or 3 minutes at the end of the warmup, then maintain that speed and grade for the remainder of the test (as you did).

I would recommend doing the test again, this time maybe targeting 137 or even 140 as your starting HR. But remember, the effort should feel easy. Also don’t hesitate to take a longer warmup. I usually do 20 mins because my body needs that extra time to really get going. Notice how much your HR rose after minute 15.

If you start at a higher HR and get a drift that’s a bit over 5%, then you could estimate your AeT as being a few bpm lower than the starting HR.

Keep us posted.
    Jane

TREADMILL HR DRIFT TEST
    Set the treadmill to 10 percent and begin hiking slowly. If you are training for flatter runs, set the treadmill to 3 percent and run. (NOTE: If hiking, you may need to use a steeper grade—10+ percent—in order to get your heart rate up sufficiently.)
    Gradually build speed over the first 15 minutes until your heart rate stabilizes at what you feel is an easy aerobic effort for 2–3 minutes. (See above for more detail on the desired effort.) If you have a good idea of what your AeT is, then target that heart rate for the beginning of the test. Once you’ve dialed in the speed and grade, do not adjust them again during the test.
    Now you are ready to begin the test: Run or hike continuously for 60 minutes at that speed/grade while recording your heart rate.
    Upload the data to TrainingPeaks. Since GPS does not work indoors, the pace part of Pa:Hr will not be accurate. That is why it is so important that you hold the pace and grade constant once you start this test on a treadmill.
    Open the workout in TrainingPeaks and click the “Analyze” button. You will see a graph of your heart rate, pace, and elevation. To calculate heart rate drift, select the first half of the test in the graph and note your average heart rate in the window to the right of the graph. Then do the same for the second half. Compare the two numbers to determine the percentage rise of your average heart rate.

Participant
    Alex Basore on #80809

Ok, thank you so much for the input and help. I think I will try retesting.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.