Bounding vs Sprints | Uphill Athlete

Bounding vs Sprints

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt Cooper
    Participant

Adding more ME sessions to my training and wondered if mixing bounding and sprints into the same session would be beneficial or just use one technique?

Eg
    30° Slope
    1 x 10 second sprint
    1 x 10 second bounding
    Repeat for total of 10 reps.

My goal is to improve rate of climb for a FKT attempt (running) and improve my general strength for mountaineering.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #62418

Matt:

Good idea. I have done just this kind of thing for XC skiers (bounding) and runners (sprint run) and with David Goettler.

Here is a video of David doing one of these on the ski jump in run in Chamonix. https://uphillathlete.com/6119-2/

You could certainly mix in bounding and running in the same workout. With these workouts I like a long rest between the efforts. So 10-12 sec then easy walk back down the hill start with 3 min rest. Then progress to 2 min and 3 min and finally 30sec (you need a continuous hill for this short rest). This starts a power workout and ends as a power-endurance workout. Very effective for improving uphill running speed when combined with a high volume of aerobic uphill. Do this in the early weeks. When you get closer to the VK race drop these and include longer more aerobic intervals 1x/week and 1x/week hill sprint workout with long rests.

I hope this helps.
    Scott

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘General Training Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.